Week-end warm up TRI-TIP

Started by OldHickory, May 25, 2012, 04:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldHickory

Have pork shoulders and ribs to do for the weekend, soooo the Wife and I decided we would get a beef fix now.  We found a nice tri-tip at Costco, choice cut.

Added extra pepper to the Santa Maria seasoning 3:1, used OO to make a paste and rubbed generously.

Into the smoker @ 220* used the Auber PID with the target temp 125*, also had the Maverick probe in place.

Out of the smoker with IT of 127* and time for a little 10 min rest, then slice to eat.

The center was rare and the tapered ends med-rare, the way we like it.  The pics show the meat with a more red tint than was present.  Buttered corn on the cob, roasted new potatoes, home made salsa with chips made a tasty meal, and of course we had a glass of red wine.
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

muebe

Looks real good old hickory!

I like to do my Tri-tips at for an hour during the smoke time and then bump the temp up between 250F to 260F in the Bradley and pull them at 140F IT.

They seem to turn out better at the higher temp to me. I also like to pull them at 130F IT and then finish with a sear on the grill to a IT of 140F ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

SiFumar

A perfect looking meal!  I bet it was delicious!

mikecorn.1

Nice looking plate! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

slowpoke

If your looking back at the things you missed,You won't know what hit you.

Keymaster

Good looking tri-tip and I need some plates like yours!!!

sjmcdowall

If you are not familiar with tri-tip, the carving technique is a bit unique ... Meathead has a good page on how to handle the cutting of tri-tip and works for me!

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/santa_maria_tri-tip_steaks.html

Everytime I visit my folks in Solvang I MUST have at least one tri-tip dinner -- and my parents live on a ranch (calf/cow) and have a real Santa Maria grill and our own 500 acres of Calif Red Oak.. :)

OldHickory

SJ, your comments are on target and the link is great.(" If you are not familiar with tri-tip, the carving technique is a bit unique ... Meathead has a good page on how to handle the cutting of tri-tip and works for me!")  The cutting technique is correct, but not always used if my Wife does some of the cutting ;D. I have that style grill, we call it a crank-up-and -down, but if I am only cooking one tri-tip,  I use the Bradley and Hickory and let the smoke roll.  Take off @ 120* and sear the sides on a hot ppg to target IT of 125*. and remove to rest.  I have a 200+ acre ranch here in San Luis Obispo County with plenty of red oak to use when I so desire, and that is when there are two or more tri- tips to cook along with other stuff.

This is my crank-up-and-down, dirty now, but easy to clean when the fire is built.  Thanks again for your comments.
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

ghost9mm

Well the meal just looks awesome to me....awesome job...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill