Smoked Albacore

Started by wyrman, May 27, 2012, 12:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wyrman

I have some albacore that is needing to get eaten so I decided to smoke some. I got the recipe off of a fishing site a couple of years ago and it's super!
Below is a copy and paste from the author of the recipe at http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=57748

"I am pleased to share my recipe for my world famous smoked tuna. I say world famous because this product was taken to Europe by a friend who traveled in conjunction with his work and was all over the globe giving it to his friends. This started 15 years ago and we still ship my smoked tuna across the water. I can and smoke and average of 1000 pounds a year.
It is the best!!!!

Since I am not a fan of the salty taste of most smoked fish I tested several recipes until I hit on PERFECTION for a mouth watering. must have smokey product.

Brown Sugar, Kosher salt, Apple Juice or pineapple juice & teriyaki sauce

I slice the tenderloins in 1 inch wide portions against the grain at an angle mainly for looks after the product is smoked.

Brining correctly is crucial to killing the bacteria in the fish so I employ an equal mixture of kosher salt and brown sugar. No other spices!!! A layer of this mixture in a clean, sanitized plastic dishpan then a layer of fish until pan is full. Each piece of fish must be coated and not touching each other. Refrigerate for 24 hours. Yes! 24 hours. Then rinse by now liquified brine off fish in cool water and put all pieces in another clean dishpan.

HERE IS WHERE THE WORLD FAMOUS PART COMES IN. Cover fish in Apple Juice and let soak for another 24 hours in refrigerator. Yep that is it. Drain fish and place on racks to air dry for an hour or so and then place in your smoker for the time needed. Each smoker is different. I use a Big Chief and run through 2 pans of DRY chips (sometimes 3) and leave fish in smoker til done. Fish pieces when done but still moist should give a bit (like a cake) when pushed with a finger.

Several years ago I did the 'soak' after brining with a mixture of Pineapple Juice and Teriyaki sauce. The results were absolutely amazing. I have also tossed a few sliced Jalapenos in with the juice soak for a bit of spice but believe me no other spices are necessary. Cool fish to room temp then vacuum seal. This product has garnered First Prize at our County fair every time I have entered it and is a favorite to anyone who tries it. No kidding.

I hope you try this easy, uncomplicate recipe. When you do, you will be totally amazed at the flavor of this product. No salty after taste at all. Just the true Albacore flavor enhanced to perfection. Please let me know if you enjoy this or have any questions."
End of C/P.
I smoked it with alder in the fridge smoker for approximately four hours. I didn't take it to a certain temperature, instead I did the feel test, but they did end up around 110°.
It turned out really good.

devo

Keymaster

Now that looks Awesome, Nice Job!!!

wyrman

Thank you Devo and Keymaster. We took the boat out on the river this afternoon and the tuna made for an excellent snack.

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

muebe

Ma that looks great! I could go for a piece right now :)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

slowpoke

If your looking back at the things you missed,You won't know what hit you.

zueth

Quote from: wyrman on May 27, 2012, 12:10:24 PM
I have some albacore that is needing to get eaten so I decided to smoke some. I got the recipe off of a fishing site a couple of years ago and it's super!
Below is a copy and paste from the author of the recipe at http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=57748

"I am pleased to share my recipe for my world famous smoked tuna. I say world famous because this product was taken to Europe by a friend who traveled in conjunction with his work and was all over the globe giving it to his friends. This started 15 years ago and we still ship my smoked tuna across the water. I can and smoke and average of 1000 pounds a year.
It is the best!!!!

Since I am not a fan of the salty taste of most smoked fish I tested several recipes until I hit on PERFECTION for a mouth watering. must have smokey product.

Brown Sugar, Kosher salt, Apple Juice or pineapple juice & teriyaki sauce

I slice the tenderloins in 1 inch wide portions against the grain at an angle mainly for looks after the product is smoked.

Brining correctly is crucial to killing the bacteria in the fish so I employ an equal mixture of kosher salt and brown sugar. No other spices!!! A layer of this mixture in a clean, sanitized plastic dishpan then a layer of fish until pan is full. Each piece of fish must be coated and not touching each other. Refrigerate for 24 hours. Yes! 24 hours. Then rinse by now liquified brine off fish in cool water and put all pieces in another clean dishpan.

HERE IS WHERE THE WORLD FAMOUS PART COMES IN. Cover fish in Apple Juice and let soak for another 24 hours in refrigerator. Yep that is it. Drain fish and place on racks to air dry for an hour or so and then place in your smoker for the time needed. Each smoker is different. I use a Big Chief and run through 2 pans of DRY chips (sometimes 3) and leave fish in smoker til done. Fish pieces when done but still moist should give a bit (like a cake) when pushed with a finger.

Several years ago I did the 'soak' after brining with a mixture of Pineapple Juice and Teriyaki sauce. The results were absolutely amazing. I have also tossed a few sliced Jalapenos in with the juice soak for a bit of spice but believe me no other spices are necessary. Cool fish to room temp then vacuum seal. This product has garnered First Prize at our County fair every time I have entered it and is a favorite to anyone who tries it. No kidding.

I hope you try this easy, uncomplicate recipe. When you do, you will be totally amazed at the flavor of this product. No salty after taste at all. Just the true Albacore flavor enhanced to perfection. Please let me know if you enjoy this or have any questions."
End of C/P.
I smoked it with alder in the fridge smoker for approximately four hours. I didn't take it to a certain temperature, instead I did the feel test, but they did end up around 110°.
It turned out really good.

What temp did you smoke the tuna at? 120?

Salmonsmoker

Wyrman, great job on the albacore. My salmon brine is very similar. I smoke about 1/4 of what you do yearly. Where are you getting your albacore if you don't mind me asking? And inland to boot. Years ago there was a boat that fished Albacore and then anchored in the Snohomish River in Everett and sold frozen whole from there, but stopped doing that years ago. :( I lost my source.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Shasta bob

What type of wood and how long would smoke it in a Bradley?
2 ea. Bradley - OBS
Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Temp Test Intelligent Thermometer
Weber Gensis BBQ
Weber Baby Q
Smoke from thermoworks
Blackstone 4 burner

wyrman

zeuth, I smoked it around 160° and I check it for doneness by feel, typically around 110°.
Shasta bob, I always use alder for fish.
Salmonsmoker, I fish out of Westport. I'm all out of albacore and wanted to go again this summer but I have too many other plans so it'll have to wait until hopefully next year.

zueth

Thanks I will try this out. We got 40 tuna on our trip this summer out of ilwaco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wyrman

Very nice! You should really like this recipe, it's tasty.