• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pork & Beans

Started by Indy Smoker, May 28, 2012, 07:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indy Smoker

Looking for a recipe for smoked pork & Beans. . .
What Kind of beans (dry or jar) specific instructions on soaking prior or not etc.  Any help is appreciated

watchdog56

Made these with a prime rib but have also made it with BBQ ribs and they are great.

May 8 2010. Made beans along with prime rib. Put in foil pan on rack under prime rib.
6-8 strips of bacon cut into 1/2 squares
1/2 medium onion,diced
1/2 bell pepper,diced
1-55 ounce can of Bush's original Baked beans
1-8 ounce can of pineapple chunks,drained
1 cup brown sugar,packed
1 cup ketchup
1/2 TBsp dry ground mustard

Saute bacon in fry pan until crispy,remove and saute onion,bell pepper until tender. In a large
mixing bowl combine beans,pineapple,brown sugar,ketchup and dry mustard. Stir in bacon pieces and
vegetables. Pour into pan and mix. If it looks dry add more ketchup 1/4 cup at time. PLace in smoker
for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Temp must reach 160 or place in oven and bake for 1 hour. Beans were excellent

beefmann

here is my  recipe

1- 28 oz can bushes  baked beans
1/2 cup red onion diced
1/2 cup sweet pepper ( green or red , i use both )
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp ground mustard

optional ingredients
1/2 cup bacon cut into 1/2 squares
1/2 cup pulled pork
1/2 cup pork sausage
1/2 cup spicy Italian sausage
1/2 cup Canadian bacon
1/2 cup pulled beef
use only 1 above 

squirtthecat

My hands down favorite.   Always a hit..   
I usually leave out the brown sugar, onions and the cayenne.

Keri's Hog-Apple BBQ Baked Beans

3 or 4 slices bacon, diced
2 (27 oz) cans Bush's Baked Beans
1/2 c. Blues Hog BBQ Sauce (or other sweet-spicy favorite)
1 lb. smoked leftover smoked pork or beef, more or less,
or 1 lb crumbled cooked pork sausage (a maple flavor pork breakfast
sausage is good)
1 (15oz) can apple pie filling, pieces somewhat chopped up
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp. Mustard (prepared)
1 tsp chipotle or cayenne powder (optional, to taste*)
1 tsp Blues Hog barbecue rub (or your favorite bbq rub)

Brown bacon, and saute onion and green pepper in bacon grease.
Mix in remaining ingredients. Bake at 325 F for 1 hour, or simmer
on stovetop in large pot for 30 minutes if you don't have time
to do them in the oven. Serves 12.

This recipe began life as APPLE PIE BAKED BEANS from somewhere
on the web, but I think I've made enough changes to it now to
claim it as my own. This is my standard for baked beans anymore.
Jack's Old South does something similar to this, but I understand
that they use peach pie filling instead.

*This is a rather spicy recipe due to the chipotle/cayenne powder.
Feel free to leave it out if you'll be feeding those who prefer
a less spicy taste.

Recipe created by Keri C, of Tulsa, OK

viper125

We do it this way.
1- Large  can bushes  baked beans
1 lb of bacon
1 lb of sausage
1/2 to 1 cup brown sugar to taste.
1  large onion diced
1  sweet pepper ( green or red , i use both )
1 TBSblack pepper
1 TBS ground mustard
2 TBS granulated Garlic

For hot
Add 1-3 TBS Cheyenne pepper to taste

Use this at the Sportsmans Club Stag and other parties. Make both hot and regular always a big hit!
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

OldHoss

Quote from: watchdog56 on May 29, 2012, 04:58:43 PM
Made these with a prime rib but have also made it with BBQ ribs and they are great.

May 8 2010. Made beans along with prime rib. Put in foil pan on rack under prime rib.
6-8 strips of bacon cut into 1/2 squares
1/2 medium onion,diced
1/2 bell pepper,diced
1-55 ounce can of Bush's original Baked beans
1-8 ounce can of pineapple chunks,drained
1 cup brown sugar,packed
1 cup ketchup
1/2 Tbsp dry ground mustard

Saute bacon in fry pan until crispy,remove and saute onion,bell pepper until tender. In a large
mixing bowl combine beans,pineapple,brown sugar,ketchup and dry mustard. Stir in bacon pieces and
vegetables. Pour into pan and mix. If it looks dry add more ketchup 1/4 cup at time. Place in smoker
for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Temp must reach 160 or place in oven and bake for 1 hour. Beans were excellent

Oh my goodness!  I had to come back and thank you watchdog for this.  I used pineapple in a bean recipe and what came out was beyond good....it was amazing let me tell you.  You guys have got to try this little twist on beans.

I was doing a 2 part cook of sausages and pork bellys and then ribs done 3 different ways so I started with 2 large cans of Heinz beans and did this:

2 55 oz cans molasses and pork baked beans
3/4 cup Guinness Bullseye BBQ sauce
3 strips bacon cup in small strips
1 big cooking Onion diced small
1 red bell pepper
1 big jalapeno
-(fry the bacon till just crispy then pull and fry Onion and peppers till soft....do not fry at high heat!  I added the jalapeno a few minutes after the other 2 ingredients as it was in smaller pieces)
mix everything together with the following as well....
-about a cup or so of diced smoked pork belly that was rubbed with paprika and a little chipolte powder - I fryed off some of the fat before adding it to the beans
-a little beer for additional moisture....1/5 of a cup to start then a little at a time
- salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder to taste - I used about 1.5 tablespoons of garlic and much less of the other 3

The interior of the smoker during the cook:

The batch of beans I had would have fit in a large container or 3 smaller ones.  To allow for the smoke to circulate I went with 3 smaller ones and rotated them.  I put the beans in part way through the first cook under the pork bellies as they smoked.  Total time the beans were in the unit duing smoke application was about 4 hours and then they stayed in the unit and slow cooked at about 210f for another hour or so till the internal temp of the beans hit 162f.

The end result....from right undoctored, Granny Smith apple and then the plastic covered remnants of the pineapple batch:

I had 3 smaller containers going into the smoker and looking at them I though why not make a variation to 2 of them so as to maximize taste options.  So I diced up half Granny Smith apple and added it to one container and added one-third of can of diced pineapple to another.  The beans were but a side dish when we ate and it was just the wife and I - you can see how much of that container is left in the picture.  We had ribs done 3 different ways to eat as well.  I love ribs and I do not mind beans.  The beans done with pineapple was the best dish of the day!!!  Wow.  I had never had beans with onions and peppers before let alone pineapple.  This was something more complex that some chilis I have eaten.  The batch with the pineapple was by far the superior product.  If you like pineapple as well as beans and have never tried it before then get off the couch and git to it I says.  If you have a smoker then git to it in a hurry and make extra cause it's gonna be mmmh, mmmmh, mmmh good.
If you have it - smoke it.

Tenpoint5

I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that you REALLY LIKED it Hoss!! ;D ;D
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

RedJada

Wish I had seen this sooner. Just had this last night. Except mine came from a can and a pack of dogs. Been along time since I had this. Now I have some good recipes and another thing to add to the smoker list.

watchdog56

Thanks Oldhoss but I cannot take credit for this recipe. I got it from someone on this site a couple of years ago just can't remember who. Glad you liked them.