• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Chicken and Ribs - First Timer

Started by goosta, June 01, 2012, 07:03:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

goosta

For my first smoke, I'm going to try baby back ribs and 2 chickens. The chickens have been butterflied. Both the ribs and chicken got rubs last night.

I've been searching through the forums trying to figure out how to do this, but still unsure...

I'm planning to use the 3-2-1 method for the ribs. I'm not sure where the chickens fit in... Should I cook the ribs first and then FTC them while the chickens cook? How long (estimate) would it take to cook the chickens? I've seen 2 hours of smoke, finishing on grill or oven recommended. I know it's all about the IT, but just trying to estimate my time. Got the in-laws coming over for dinner, so don't want everyone sitting around till 10PM waiting for dinner because I don't know what the heck I'm doing.  :D

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

goosta

Hmm..now I just read that I should do 2-2-1 for back ribs or they will get overcooked. Is that right?

KyNola

Some other folks will come along with a better idea but here is how I would do it.  I would set the smoker to 225 and smoke the ribs for around 2 hours and then move them to your house oven to finish.  Then bump the temp up in the Bradley as high as you can get it and smoke/cook the chickens there.  The reason for bumping up the temp in the Bradley is you will lose a lot of heat in the Bradley when you open the door to put the chickens in and the coldness of the chickens themselves.  Chicken is also a smoke spnge so a couple hours of smoke will probably be enough.  You can always add smoke the next time but you can't take smoke out once you have smoked something.

Consooger

for my ribs I have always done 3-2-1 but sometimes the last hour isn't needed, maybe just a half an hour. I wouldn't do the chicken for anymore than 2 hours because as stated above poultry is a sponge and you don't want to over smoke on the first try. After this you can adjust the smoke based on your preference and go about it differently the next time if a must.

If I were doing this I would throw the ribs in for 3 hours of smoke, after the first hour of smoke I would throw the chicken in and let it ride with the ribs ABOVE the ribs for the last 2 hours of smoke. After that I would pull the ribs out of the smoker all together since you are going to wrap them in foil and spritz them with apple juice if that's what you are doing. Since they are already out and you don't want to open up the box again since the chickens are in there let the chickens ride in there (I would cook these to IT 160-165) and let the ribs go into the oven for the remainder. It's easier to build the heat back up if you check them in the oven. After the smoke is done however pull the water pan and replace, and keep the vent wide open. The chicken depending on how big shouldn't take that long. If it is done before the ribt you can always FTC it until you are ready with the ribs.

- John
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

mikecorn.1

You got two good answers above. Good luck.
To add, I do find that 2 hr at the end isn't really needed. At least for me. I go 3-2-.5 or 2-2-.5 again that's just what I found works for me. I have done the 3-2-1 also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

goosta

Thanks for the advice guys. Ribs are done smoking and are in the oven. Chicken is in the smoker. So far, so good!  ;D

mikecorn.1

SO FAR NO PICS!! ;) ;D. I would love to show you some unicorns I saw one day home from work. I actually took a pic. When I find it I'll post it. ;D

Edit:  AHA!! Here it is! A great day ;D

Mike

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

mikecorn.1

I found the pic. Look at the thread b4 Gus's ;D

Mike

goosta

Those are some good looking unicorns...  ;D

All I have right now is one of the ribs right before they went in...

I'll take more once everything is done.  8)

mikecorn.1

Quote from: goosta on June 01, 2012, 03:02:11 PM
Those are some good looking unicorns...  ;D

All I have right now is one of the ribs right before they went in...

I'll take more once everything is done.  8)
All righty then. Here we go. I'll even look at a pic of a pile of Ron bones :o. Looking good. What about the yard bird ;D

Mike

goosta

Well, everything turned out better than I expected! Thanks again for the tips. I think I'm addicted now...already thinking about what to do next.  ;D

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Keymaster

mikecorn.1

You killed it. That looks awesome!!  Hopefully will see more of your stuff on here. Don't be a stranger. It's always nice when more participate.

Mike