• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pork Butt BDS Temperature Issues

Started by Indy Smoker, June 03, 2012, 07:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indy Smoker

I am in the middle of smoking 2 Boston butts in my BDS.  I smoked some about a year and a half ago and had a small grease fire in the cabinet.  I ended up replacing the hi temp sensor, fusem and the heating element.  Ever since the temperature doesn't seem to get as high as it should.  I put the butts in around 3 PM at 230 and rolled 4 hours of smoke.  i checked them at 9pm and they didn't look very 'cooked' at all.  I placed my remote thermometer in the cabinet -not in the meat to monitor the temp and it was only at 165.  I cranked the temp up as high as it would go (320) and the temp is currently registering at 205 on the probe thermometer/  I usually smoke the butts at 225 to an IT of 190 then FTC.  Ever since I replaced the internal items it seems like the temp gets to around 220, cycles off and will not go any higher, it also seems like I don't get the real 'smokey' flavor anymore either.
I am extremely frustrated at this point.
Any suggestions  - help - ideas - anything.  I am smoking the butts for a graduation party and I don't want to serve sub-par food. >:(

GusRobin

Can't help about the cabinet but you can always move the butts And finish in your kitchen oven.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Indy Smoker

When I initially had the fire I was forced to do that but never got the smokey flavor that i usually get from the cabinet even though everyone says you still do.  Did I do something wrong?
Also they usually take 24-26 hours in the BDS and the oven it took around 12 and the meat didn't pull as easy as in the cabinet, again did I do something wrong??

GusRobin

what temp did you have the oven set at and what IT was the butt when you pulled? The times I finished in the oven it was set to 225 and ran the butt IT to 195. It came out tender.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Habanero Smoker

It could be that your temperature sensor was damaged, and is now reading inaccurately. You may have to replace that. At this time the oven seems to be you only option, until you can check out the temperature sensor. Test the cabinet temperature when it is empty, that should give you a good indication if the sensor needs to be replaced.

I agree that moving the butts to the oven, changes the final flavor. Most say that the Bradley is nothing more than an oven, after you turn the smoke off. But I feel that the juices and fats, when they hit the drip tray vaporize and add additional flavor to the finish product.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Indy Smoker

Habs - The temperature sensor - are you referring to the button that sticks thru the back.  If so I also replaced that .  Could mine be defective?

SouthernSmoked

Hey Gary, Sorry to hear you are still having some issues. Take your cabinet and plug directly into a wall outlet. After 10 minutes(NO MORE THAN 10) open the door and make sure the heating element is glowing red. If not the heating element needs replace. If glowing than you will need to replace the "Digital Smoker Replacement Temperature Sensor".

If you still have my # give me call.
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Kahunas

Did you go through an auto tune on your controller after you changed everything?
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

sjmcdowall

Quote from: Kahunas on June 04, 2012, 09:05:26 AM
Did you go through an auto tune on your controller after you changed everything?

Does this apply (and if so, how?) on the BDS?

TedEbear

Quote from: sjmcdowall on June 04, 2012, 09:56:51 AM

That's only if you add an aftermarket PID temp controller and I don't think the OP said that he has one of those.

Kahunas

Quote from: TedEbear on June 04, 2012, 12:07:16 PM
Quote from: sjmcdowall on June 04, 2012, 09:56:51 AM

That's only if you add an aftermarket PID temp controller and I don't think the OP said that he has one of those.
Oops,
Sorry,
Thought he did. There goes that assume thing again
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Indy Smoker on June 04, 2012, 05:06:25 AM
Habs - The temperature sensor - are you referring to the button that sticks thru the back.  If so I also replaced that .  Could mine be defective?

I believe we're are referring to the same thing. If you open the door you will see a disk about the size of a quarter. That is the temperature sensor. It could be defective, but if it has been replaced and being new it is not likely that it is faulty. The way to test it, is to run your smoker empty to see if the set temperature on the generator to 250°F and measure the cabinet temperature with a probe. If they are about within +/-10°F of each other, then the temperature sensor is alright. If the cabinet temperature are still running low, you may want to try SouthernSmoke's test, and use a probe thermometer to register the temperature. If you get good temperature then, the problem may be related to the circuit board.

I've should have asked in the first post. What is your vent setting. When I smoke two butts I set the vent to 1/2 to 3/4.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)