• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Canadian Bacon --

Started by sjmcdowall, June 04, 2012, 06:47:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjmcdowall

Part of this weekends smoke fest -- started a couple of Canadian Bacons a week ago.  Pretty much your standard cure ala Hab ... then after a week I washed twice and patted dry .. put some maple syrup on them and fresh cracked peppercorns (Tellicherry) ... let sit for a couple of hours in the fridge to get "sticky" (pellicile ? ) then smoked for 2 hours with maple and apple (1 each) .. and come up to 140 .. tented and wrapped in saran to rest (currently resting) ..

The sample pieces were OMG -- this is the best Canadian Bacon EVER by my wife ... !!

Thanks guys!!

P.S. I was going to make pea meal bacon from one of the slabs but couldn't resist the allure of the smoke! LOL

JZ

Dam - I have my CB sitting on the counter right now waiting to go onto the smoker and I see your post and the use of maple syrup and I am thinking that has got to be GOOD, but I don't have any  :'( so will have to do without.

So tell me did that syrup really improve the taste? Tell the truth - don't worry about hurting my feelings, just because I don't have any :).

sjmcdowall

Hard to say if it improved the flavor since I didn't try any without it -- but it sure did add a nice sweet component to counter (not that it needed any really) the more savory cure I made with garlic, etc. All I can say is the end result was truly OMG worthy ... :)

OldHickory

I think the maple syrup adds a wonderful flavor fo maple cured CB.  I like this one from MallardWhacker. http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?319-MAPLE-CANADIAN-BACON 
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

Smoker John

Looks great, I am going to attempt this soon or at least some type of bacon
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

ghost9mm

The bacon looks super good...great job...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

rajzer

Stop already!  makes me want to do another batch of back bacon! (that's what its called in Canada).  I still have some in the freezer but Costco has a great price on it so I will be experimenting with Habby's recipe this week.

mikecorn.1

Mike

SiFumar

4given

Looks great! I think I will try maple syrup next time! :) ;)
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Green Mountain Grill "Daniel Boone" Pellet Grill
Webber "Q" 100