• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

More Thai Chicken

Started by JZ, June 16, 2012, 04:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JZ

I had some boneless skinless chicken breasts in the freezer that were starting to get freezer burn and I asked the wife what kind of sausages she wanted me to make. Without hesitation she said Thai Chicken. I made some Thai and Andoulie chicken the last time but she said make it all Thai. So here are the pics of making 6.5 lbs of the stuff following the recipe Kevin A posted (thanks again Kevin).

Here is the chicken all ground up.

Here are the ingredients. Except for the coconut milk - forgot about it since I  moved it over to the kitchen counter.
Don't really like the smell. I almost forgot to mix it into the meat too since it wasn't with the other ingredients.

All mixed up. Love the smell of this stuff.

Ready to start stuffing. It is hard to tell in the pic but this mixing bowl is is huge. That is a 10lb stuffer beside it.

All stuffed and ready for the hot tub.

Everybody in the pool.

Cooling off after the hot bath and if you look close you can see some of my links unwound - I guess I need more practice.

And of course the money shot.

This is some good stuff. ;D

Only problem I have with this stuff is when I freeze it (vac sealed) and then thaw it out, a lot of liquid is expelled from the sausage and the meat gets real rubbery, loosing much of its good texture. I am not sure but think it might be because I am using breasts that have been injected with water and meat protein.

mikecorn.1

That does look good!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Kevin A

Nice job, JZ!  :)
This is still one of my family's favorites!

In my freezer, I currently have 15lbs of boneless thighs awaiting their destiny. Just need to pick up a few more ingredients before I begin.

Kevin

SamuelG

This might be a dumb one, but here it goes.... Does it taste like chicken?

Those turned out great!

Thanks
SamuelG

JZ

QuoteThis might be a dumb one, but here it goes.... Does it taste like chicken?

Firstly I have to say that the only dumb question is the one that doesn't get asked (because it never gets answered). ;D

I have to say that I never thought about it and had to go to the fridge and taste a piece to see. ???

I have read that almost everything tastes like chicken but the amazing thing is that this does not  :o  WHAT? So I asked the wife and she looks at me kinda puzzled like - then says no I don't think so.  :o

It is either because of all of the spices and other ingredients mixed in with the meat or the fact that I used breasts that were injected with water and meat protein.  ::) It is hard to describe the taste but it is definitely a Thai, peanut, sweet/slightly hot chilli, onion, garlic taste. I would send one to you but doubt it would taste the same by the time it got there ;)

Maybe Kevin could answer this better since he uses real "unaltered" chicken.

SamuelG

Thanks JZ!

That is great news to me. I tend not to like chicken... With some exceptions.

I put this one on my short list for sure.

Thanks again.
SamuelG

DTJ

I have been gathering the ingredients to make this and I was thinking about using breast meat as well. Did you add any fat to it, I know Kevin's recipe uses thigh meat with skin if I remember correctly.

Thanks
Daryl 

Sailor

Man oh Man I so want to try this.  I keep getting sidetracked.  I put it on my to do list.  The sausage sure looks good.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Kahunas

Quote from: JZ on June 16, 2012, 08:34:09 PM

Firstly I have to say that the only dumb question is the one that doesn't get asked (because it never gets answered). ;D

Unless your question is "So when are you due?" to a woman that is not pregnant............
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Kevin A

Quote from: DTJ on June 18, 2012, 01:56:15 PM
Did you add any fat to it, I know Kevin's recipe uses thigh meat with skin if I remember correctly.
Daryl, I did use the thighs with skins. That's the fat source in a relatively lean sausage. You can use breast meat, but without enough fat, it's going to have a slightly different mouth-feel, and can become rubbery in texture. There is 'some' fat in both the peanuts and coconut milk, but ideally, 15-20% fat is what makes a good, tasty sausage.
4 pound lean to 1 pound fat.....

Chicken thighs, fat & skin....

SamuelG

Quote from: Kahunas on June 18, 2012, 02:02:00 PM
Quote from: JZ on June 16, 2012, 08:34:09 PM

Unless your question is "So when are you due?" to a woman that is not pregnant............

I know!

:) :) :)
SamuelG

DTJ

Thanks Kevin, I was thinking that the sausage would be crumbly if there is not much fat.  I like dark meat but the rest of the family prefers white.  But I may have to try the dark and try to slip it past them.  I had fun finding the spices, I went to a asian super market and that was a learning expirence.  So much there I have never seen or heard of, makes me want to learn more asian/thai cooking.

Daryl

Kevin A

Quote from: DTJ on June 18, 2012, 06:16:49 PM
I like dark meat but the rest of the family prefers white.  But I may have to try the dark and try to slip it past them.
You'll not notice any visible difference (color of appearance) in the sausage using the dark meat. Should be easy to fool the 'white-meat eaters'... ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/GuitarPix/Stuffer%20Stuff/thia_sliced.jpg

Kevin

JZ

DTJ - sorry I did not reply sooner - been busy getting stuff ready for my big vacation.

The breast meat I use has been "enhanced" with meat protein and injected with water. I use this stuff because it is cheap when it is on sale. It comes in 10 lb boxes of individually frozen breasts for $26.00 which is less than 1/2 the price of fresh.

To answer your question - I do not add any fat to the recipe and it turns out great, not dry at all. But I am using this "enhanced" ::) stuff and it may be a different story if you use fresh. I also have issues with freezing this sausage as it turns rubbery when thawed. I asked Kevin A if he has the same problems and the answer was no. So I am thinking that this "enhanced" stuff is a totally different ballgame. Maybe I will grow another arm or third eye. :o

I am going to try some natural chicken next time just to see the difference.

Good luck with yours and let us know how it turns out - don't forget the pics. ;D

SouthernSmoked

Man Oh Man! Nothing but MONEY!! That looks killer!!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little