Oven Bags V Foil

Started by PyratSteve, December 16, 2011, 09:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow beb

Hi Clarego-

I have tried Saran too and had good results. My wife, allas, is convinced it will melt and the resulting chemical brew will kill us and the kids... Can't argue with a wife's logic, not even using facts, science, and reason.  :-\

muebe

There are some people who cook their briskets, butts, ect. wrapped in butcher paper(non waxed) with great results. It keeps it insulated but allows it to breathe.

I have not tried this yet but wonder what kind of results it would do for ribs. The results for briskets and butts look fantastic.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Up In Smoke

Quote from: muebe on September 08, 2012, 10:28:18 AM
There are some people who cook their briskets, butts, ect. wrapped in butcher paper(non waxed) with great results. It keeps it insulated but allows it to breathe.

I have not tried this yet but wonder what kind of results it would do for ribs. The results for briskets and butts look fantastic.
I have not tried ribs.
I did paper wrap a brisket but forgot to allow more time due to the insulating properties of the paper.
In other words i had to pull the brisket early because i did not want to leave it in the smoker unattended/overnight.
I would be interested in seeing paper wrapped ribs though.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Shadow beb on September 08, 2012, 06:54:49 AM
Hi Clarego-

I have tried Saran too and had good results. My wife, allas, is convinced it will melt and the resulting chemical brew will kill us and the kids... Can't argue with a wife's logic, not even using facts, science, and reason.  :-\

We have a member who is a biologist/chemist (JJC). Some time ago there was a lengthy discussion about using plastic wraps at high temperatures. They all seem to release chemicals at high heat. The stretch type, due to their composition releases a lot more chemicals. He discovered this when the manufacturer of the plastic wrap they were using changed their formula to make it cling better. JJC's lab used the plastic wrap to cover egg incubators, for hatching chickens. The were using the same brand plastic wrap, but saw that the newly hatched chickens were dieing. After contacting the manufacture, they learned the plastic formula was changed. Since then, many manufacturer have removed BPA from plastic manufacturing in the food industry. I don't know if that makes them safer to use.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)