• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Boston butt and brisket

Started by Hedlyna, July 06, 2012, 06:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

If the probe is between the two racks the readings are being effected by the moisture rising out of the meat that is below it.  The butt is going to stall at around the 150 to 160 IT mark.  It may stall for 2-3 hours and the temp not rise.  May even drop a degree or two.  Don't raise your cook temp trying to get the temp of the butt to start rising again.  The stall period is when everything is breaking down in the butt.  The temp will eventually rise again.

On the brisket, don't sweat that it is already at 176.  When it hits your taget temp, simply ftc it.  It will hold just fine.

Hedlyna

The brisket has actually dropped down to 162 since switching the racks, is that ok too? And I moved the probe as you suggested.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

KyNola

The temp shouldn't have dropped 14 degrees simply because you moved the rack.  What are you reading the IT of the brisket with?  I'm wondering if your probe was maybe in a fat ribbon in the brisket.  That will give you a false high reading.  Either way, don't sweat it.  Frankly even though it is only a 5 lb brisket I was a little surprised to read the post that said it was already at 176 in just 4 hours.  I'm guessing the 162 is probably more accurate.

I hope I'm not confusing you and being more of a pain than helping.

Hedlyna

No you're being very helpful and I really appreciate it, I'm using the maverick et-732

Wildcat

Looks like the butt has a ways to go yet. If it gets done early (say in 3 hours from the time of your post) you can easily FTC for 4 hours. I mentioned that I did not think butts needed to be FTC'd. That does not mean that you can't. I do sometimes when they get done too early.

I would FTC the brisket for sure.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

mikecorn.1

Dont know if you have but have you sealed the ends of the et732 probes. Some have had trouble getting moisture in them giving off some crazy temps.
Anyway back to our program already in session. :) ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Hedlyna

No I haven't, didn't know anything about that. How do you do that?

TedEbear

Quote from: Hedlyna on July 07, 2012, 11:44:39 AM
No I haven't, didn't know anything about that. How do you do that?

Get some food safe Permatex high temp RTV and seal the area where the braided wire enters the metal probe. 

If you do get moisture in the probe and it starts giving you erratic readings you can usually dry it out by putting the probe section in your oven at 250 degrees for an hour or two and then let it cool.  The Permatex sealer stops moisture from entering the probe. 

mikecorn.1

This stuff. Walmart has it cheaper than the autoparts stores. At least where I'm at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Hedlyna

Oh, ok, thanks guys. The brisket is done and wrapped in the cooler, the butt is at 180

Hedlyna

I'm stuck at about 180 for the past 2.5 hours. Should I jack up

Hedlyna

The temp or just let it go?

SiFumar

Don't jack up!  That is the stall where the magic happens!

Hedlyna

Ok, everybody said around 150 - 160, just making sure I hit the plateau and not just have the temp on the Bradley too low. Thanks

SiFumar

Every meat can stall at a different time/temp.  I suppose it depends on age/toughness of the animal.