• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Can I go to low and slow?

Started by johndgraham, July 08, 2012, 05:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johndgraham

I'd like to cook a rump round roast, it's 5lbs.   According to all I read we're talking 5-8 hours, I know... I know.... Cook to temp.   I always do, but I'd like to try and have something for dinner around 8pm.   So my question is do you think if I cook at a lower temp when I get home from work @5 I'll be able to FTC until 8?

So instead of 5-8 hours @ 200-220, when I leave for work I'll set it at 180 and leave it at that temp all day.

Thoughts?

johndgraham

Just trying to think this through.   Maybe I cook it overnight and FTC while I'm at work?   

Hedlyna

I don't think I'd FTC for more than four hours

Adam

johndgraham

Maybe put it in teh smoker at 100 degrees for a first couple of hours, then have the smoker temp come up later in the day. 

Habanero Smoker

Hi johndgraham;

Welcome to the forum.

You don't want the meat to be in the "danger zone" too long; that is the temperatures of over 40°F and under 140°F. As a general rule you don't want the meat in that zone for  more than two hours. There are exceptions, such as smoke having antimicrobial properties, and salt slowing down the growth of bacteria, but you shouldn't depend on those as part of your smoking/cooking.

Also it is not a good idea to leave your smoker unattended for lengthy periods of time. I will leave mine unattended for a couple of hours, but I also depend on my Maverick to alarm me if the temperature rises or fall too much. I stay in the area, just in case something goes wrong.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wildcat

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on July 09, 2012, 02:32:38 AM
Hi johndgraham;

Welcome to the forum.

You don't want the meat to be in the "danger zone" too long; that is the temperatures of over 40°F and under 140°F. As a general rule you don't want the meat in that zone for  more than two hours. There are exceptions, such as smoke having antimicrobial properties, and salt slowing down the growth of bacteria, but you shouldn't depend on those as part of your smoking/cooking.

Also it is not a good idea to leave your smoker unattended for lengthy periods of time. I will leave mine unattended for a couple of hours, but I also depend on my Maverick to alarm me if the temperature rises or fall too much. I stay in the area, just in case something goes wrong.

Ditto.

This is probably too late but you could smoke for 2 to 4 hours then transfer to a slow cooker (or crockpot) without liquid (preferrably on a rack) and go on to work.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

johndgraham

Thanks guys.... sounds like it's pretty much a no go... but was definitely worth considering.     I just like the idea of having something ready for me when I get home from work... Why only smoke on the weekends ya know.  :-)

Habanero Smoker

Visit the Recipe Site. There are many recipes that can be smoke/roasted in a few hours. It may not be ready when you return, but if everything is prepped and ready to go, you could have something smoking in the cabinet within 30 minutes of being home. Or you can slice that roast into 1.5 - 2-inch steaks; apply about 40 minutes of smoke, then transfer to a hot grill and finish them. There are many ways you can utilize your smoker on a daily basis.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)