• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pulled pork Bark ??

Started by Boo Boudreaux, July 13, 2012, 05:05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boo Boudreaux

I have a question for you experienced guys,, I made some pulled pork (two butts) it came out good but I was not happy with the bark color, it was to dark for my liking. 

I did the following ,
I injected the two butts with apple juice,applied a little coat of mustard, then applied my rub.  I smoked them for 4 hours at 240 then continued cooking at 240 until IT was 190.

I was thinking if I rap them in foil after I apply the smoke then the bark might not get as dark.  What do you guys think? How do you get the bark nice an dark brown but not black?

SiFumar

I'm sure more experienced people will be on here to help.  I just want to say I've never gone by color...just taste.  After you trim the bark off, chop up real fine and mix in with the pulled pork, you distribute the flavor better that way, and won't notice the "color".

Up In Smoke

BB,
A rub with high sugar, honey, moleasses  ::) content will give you the dark/burnt bark that you are talking about.
double check the ingredients of your rub. if there is sugar simply omit it and see if that helps.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Up In Smoke on July 13, 2012, 05:17:13 PM
BB,
A rub with high sugar, honey, moleasses  ::) content will give you the dark/burnt bark that you are talking about.
double check the ingredients of your rub. if there is sugar simply omit it and see if that helps.
Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding!!
Mike

Up In Smoke

See there mike, I'm not just another pretty face :)
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Hedlyna

Mine are always dark like this or darker, used to worry me. But I'm not giving up brown sugar to make them pretty. They don't taste burnt to me

Adam

muebe

The molasses is fantastic! Great bark. You should give it a try ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

mhiykmeel63

Here are the last ones I did. I use a molasses slather then my rub, they are dark but IMHO it was the best Ive done so far

ACW3

Once you get everything "pulled", the final product doesn't look so dark.  There is usually a lot of good flavor in that bark.  I like lots of bark.  I foil wrap the butts in an aluminum half-tray when the internal temperature gets to 145 to 150.  Helps to keep it moist.  I actually finish it in the oven at a temp of 250.  When the IT hits around 205, it is ready to coll and pull.  In the end it's all about the taste.

Art
MAK 2 Star (# 171)
Weber Kettle (old school charcoal)
KCBS CBJ
NCBS

Wildcat

Pretty or Good. We always try to accomplish both but sometimes ya gotta make a choice.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Boo Boudreaux

Thanks guys, mine turned out about like the pic in the replies. I also like my rub but didn't know if there was anything I could do to keep the sugar from turning so dark. I didn't have any complaints with the finished product so I will keep it the same.

If the weather clears up today I will fire up the Bradley an put in two more butts.

Boo Boudreaux

The pic s didn't turn out very good so I didn't post them last time ,  I guess I'll post them anyway when I get a chance.

Hedlyna

You could take a picture just running by in a fill sprint, blurry as hell....we'd still want to see itO0

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

4given

I like dark, thick bark and I am dissapointed if I do not get it. I cut my butts in half so I get even more bark! Love that bark!!
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Green Mountain Grill "Daniel Boone" Pellet Grill
Webber "Q" 100

Hiram

For a nice dark bark that isn't burnt or tastes bad, put on your rub and in the frig overnight. Just before you put it in the smoker slather it thickly with mustard, it will give it that dark mahogany bark .