• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Newbie want to smoke New York Strips

Started by FumblingFoodie, July 23, 2012, 02:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FumblingFoodie

Newbie here with a brand new Bradley Smoker. I spied some nice looking New York Strips steaks in the supermarket and am now trying to figure out how to best cook them in the smoker. Suggestions?

Ka Honu

Buy or make a cold-smoke adapter and cold-smoke them (hickory is good) for 40-60 minutes, then either wrap in cling wrap for overnight rest in fridge or grill immediately as you normally would.

beefmann

welcome aboard, id smoke for an hour to hour and half at 225 and pull, cut a piece of and taste, also check  for desired it temp and go from there, if want  more  done throw it back in and cook a bit  longer

KyNola

Quote from: Ka Honu on July 23, 2012, 04:35:42 PM
Buy or make a cold-smoke adapter and cold-smoke them (hickory is good) for 40-60 minutes, then either wrap in cling wrap for overnight rest in fridge or grill immediately as you normally would.
Ditto!

Habanero Smoker

Hi FumblingFoodie;

Welcome to the forum.

This is my favorite cut of beef. Keep your eye open, because a few times a year you may see Top Loins on sale for a real good price. I buy them cryovac and wet age them. Then trim and slice them into NY Strips to my desired thickness or cook it as a roast. The meat will be like cutting through butter.

When I apply smoke I do what Ka Honu does, but I use oak and only 40 minutes of smoke. Most of the time I don't bother to hook up my cold smoker adapter. I unplug the cabinet and preheat the bisquette burner. When the burner is hot I move the steaks directly from the refrigerator to the smoker. Prior to placing the steaks in the smoker I open the door and use a piece of cardboard to fan out any built up heat. Making sure the vent is wide open I place the cold steaks in and start applying the smoke. You could leave the door slightly ajar, if you apply 60 minutes of smoke, that will help prevent the heat from building up. Because of the heat from the burner, I try not to use the bottom rack position.

I forgot to mention that I cold smoke either early dawn (coolest part of the day usually); or after dusk.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FumblingFoodie

QuoteI forgot to mention that I cold smoke either early dawn (coolest part of the day usually); or after dusk.

Yes, I think that's going to be a requirement here in Phoenix in the summer when the LOW temperature is about 80.

Ka Honu

You can also help keep the chamber cool by putting an aluminum foil pan of ice on the bottom rack.

KyNola

Or those frozen gel packs.  No added moisture in the cabinet with those.

FumblingFoodie

I just wanted to follow up and say that the results were awesome!

I bought the Bradley cold smoke adapter. Early this morning (5am)  I hooked it up and cold-smoked the steaks for about an hour using hickory bisquettes.  It's warm here in Phoenix this time of year even at that time of morning so I placed some cold-paks in the tower as well.  When I was done I took them out, wrapped them in plastic wrap and put them in the fridge until this evening when I grilled them in the normal way.

The amount of smoke flavor was just right. My wife is raving about them.  I think the Bradley is going to be a regular part of my steak-grilling routine.

Habanero Smoker

Glad to hear it was a success. When using cold packs in the smoker, if you place them in Ziploc bags, you don't have to clean them later, and they don't develop a smoke smell.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

mikecorn.1

Welcome aboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Wildcat

Quote from: KyNola on July 24, 2012, 12:47:42 PM
Or those frozen gel packs.  No added moisture in the cabinet with those.

Never thought of that. Good idea.  Although I cook beef steaks with hardwood oak and high heat this application can be useful for other things.  Thanks.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/