Ten pound butt.....time?

Started by Smokin Elvis, July 28, 2012, 04:59:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Elvis

Planning on doing a ten lb butt today....did the molasses glue with Jan's rub plus double cayenne cuz hey, we're from Texas.....so i will be using my Bradley original at around 225 and wonder when to start this monster.  My last one about this size took 19 hours to get to 190......same for you guys?    So for eating tomorrow at supper and allowing time for FTC I think I should start this one by noon today.....agree? 

Thanks.

Consooger

If you plan on eating it around 5ish I would put it in at around 2-3. That gives you 20 hours give or take to get to 190. Let's say it takes 20 hours which could very possibly be, that's noon to 1 o'clock and then 3 hrs FTC that puts you at around 3-4 o'clock. Just in time to eat at around 5. I wouldn't wait any longer than 3 though.

How many hours of smoke are you using?

John
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

Smokin Elvis

Thanks, John.  I was planning on using 4 hours of smoke at the front end, 1 hour at the back end as I approach 190.  I usually use oak.

I have never used the Texas Crutch for a butt as they are usually moist anyway....I have used it for brisket but wasn't that impressed.....how about you?  Do you use the crutch for pork?

Consooger

I do not, I inject my butts with apple juice or cider and they turn out very moist.
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

Consooger

However, inject them AFTER your glue and rub is applied or else it turns into a dripping mess and all comes out while rubbing
               -My Wife