What do you cook your ribs on?

Started by begolf25, March 25, 2006, 12:19:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

begolf25

When you guys do your ribs do you use any type of a rib rack or do you just lay them flat on the racks?  Do you find any advantage one way or the other?

Bryan

owrstrich

i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

icerat4

I lay my down on the racks alone.No problems [:D]

IKnowWood

I have only layed them down.  I have mopped and I have just left hem alone.   I am thinking of get the sausage rack and hang them and see how that goes.  The ribs I mopped were so juicy.  But then again I also soaked them overnight in a cider mix.  I am still experimenting.

But so far laying flat is good.  

IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

JJC

Bryan, I've laid them flat and used the rack that Owrstrich pictured.  Both methods work equally well, but the rack increases the capacity.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

begolf25

Thanks fellas.  I do have a rib rack.  I did two rakcs of baby backs this weekend with a whole chicken and decided to lay them flat and try it out.

I used a mustard slather and rub then smoked for 3 hours with Apple and Cherry. Left them in the smoker for one more hour then removed.  I gave both sides a coating of BBQ sauce and put them in the over on 225 for 2 1/2 hours.  Took them out, one more coat of sauce then FTC.  When it was time to eat I couldn't believe how tender they were.  My best batch yet. Even the mother-in-law couldn't stop talking about them which really made me feel like I did something good....LOL

IknowWood, I would sure love to hear how your cider experiment is going and get the recipe if it works out.  I have heard a lot of good things about soaking ribs in cider before cooking.

JJC, I see what you mean.  If i need to do more then a couple racks or need the room for anything else i will be sure to use the rack since it seems the results are about the same.

Bryan

manxman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">cider<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

On most occasions nowadays I soak my ribs in sweet apple cider for 12-24 hours before smoking irrespective of what rub I use, I also use one of those small plant sprayer bottles to spray them a couple of times when they are in the BS... I swear by using cider with ribs.

Like JJC says, I have laid flat and used a rib rack and find either method works well.

Manxman.
Manxman

iceman

It's like my grandad used to tell me. Boy I gots me 2 jugs of juice handy when ever the smokehouse is running. One to make the meat happy and one to make me happy![:D]<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by manxman</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">cider<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

On most occasions nowadays I soak my ribs in sweet apple cider for 12-24 hours before smoking irrespective of what rub I use, I also use one of those small plant sprayer bottles to spray them a couple of times when they are in the BS... I swear by using cider with ribs.

Like JJC says, I have laid flat and used a rib rack and find either method works well.

Manxman.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Phone Guy

I buy the 3 pack of baby backs from Costco. I cut them each in two pieces and put both pieces on one rack, so lets see thats three racks. I wonder what I can put on the top rack? I know Bacon! I think Costco and Bradley were working together on this.

icerat4

Hey phoneguy those are the same ribs they sale at sams club and there awesome.I think i know something phoneguy knows about doing these ribs.[;)][:D][;)]

Gerry

I am a bit of a traditionalist here I use a dry rub and let the ribs set overnight, I would never use baby back ribs as they are way to delicate. Put them in a 375 F oven for an Hour then in the smoker for 3 - 4 hours at 220 F with about 1 hour of smoke. If your going longer than 3 hours that's OK but start thinking about using a mopping sauce so they don't dry out.

nsxbill

I ALWAYS use BB ribs, because I just enjoy them more than any other kind.  I am retired Army and buy Swift's Premium BB ribs at the Commisary for <$2 a pound.  They are extremely meaty and just outstanding. 

I first remove the thin membrane from the ribs, then I split the racks in two and vacuum marinate in Wishbone Italian dressing in the Reveo Vacuum Marinator, or if doing a large batch in the Hobart Vacuum Marinator for about 20 minutes.  I dust with Dizzy Pig Rub and let them sit for about 12 hours with the rub. 

I smoke to desired temp, using the "Puck du jour" - usually Oak, Pecan or Hickory, constantly controlling cabinet temp at 205°F with my Procom4.  Usually takes about 14-16 hrs to get to about 187°F. internal temperature.  I remove the ribs, and in separate foil packs add about 1/8th cup of apple juice and a little Sweet Baby Rays original BBQ Sauce, and put all the packs in the "FTC" mode for about 3-4 hours. 

If preparing in advance, the foil packs are re-heated in the over at 200°F for about 40 minutes.  My technique has the meat almost falling off the bone - the way I like them.  It took some failures to get them this way, and it is just the way my family enjoys them. 

Re the racks....

If doing a lot of ribs, I use one of Smokehouserob's racks to hang the ribs.  If just doing a couple of racks, lay them flat on non-stick shelves.  If somewhere in the middle, I use the SS racks you see pictured, and I have enough of them for the shelves on both of my SS smokers.  I rotate the racks top to bottom and front to back every 4 hours.

Water, as always, is changed out after the first 4 hours of smoke to get the "nasty and bitter" out of the cabinet.  I don't baste the ribs.  They do just fine with a pound of thick sliced bacon raining down from above.  The advantage of laying flat is the bacon drippings is more equally distributed on flat laying ribs.  Using hanging racks, I usually just string some bacon over each hanging half-rack, which is kind of a PIA.  The hanging rack is for sausage, but sure works good for ribs, and advantage is no rack clean-up required.

So enough rambling on.  It is just the way I do them and it took several spoiled batches to get them the way I like them.

I have marinated with addition of 5:1 Coca Cola Syrup from our home soda fountain added to the Wishbone, and the addition of the syrup works well to improve flavor.  It carmelizes nicely on the surface of the ribs and when added to the foil packs enhances the color for presentation and adds a nice taste too.  You can use Dr. Pepper, or Cherry Coke syrup too.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

begolf25

Quote from: nsxbill on April 04, 2006, 10:28:51 AM
I ALWAYS use BB ribs, because I just enjoy them more than any other kind.  I am retired Army and buy Swift's Premium BB ribs at the Commisary for <$2 a pound.  They are extremely meaty and just outstanding. 

Bill,

Thats a hell of a price on your ribs.  I usually go crazy when I find them on sale around me for about $5.00 a lb.  I might have to have you ship some to the East Coast for me....lol

I am still trying to perfect my ribs and have been getting closer.  What method do you use to see if your ribs are done, bend, toothpick, pulling on a bone?  I have been doing my ribs by starting them in the Bradley then finishing them in the oven.  When I tried to cook them all the way in the Bradley the first time I think I pulled them out too early.  I thought they were starting to look like jerky and I over cooked them but I guess it turns out I pulled them too quick.  This was after about 8 hours but you are saying about 14-16 hours.

Also, when you put them in your foil packs do you coat your ribs with the baby rays?

Thanks for the info Bill!

Bryan

nsxbill

begolf25

With about 10-12 preps of ribs, I know how long, and just use the internal temp as the determination when they are done.  Yes, I coast in Sweet Baby Rays and do the apple juice just when I am wrapping them up in foil.  I love ribs, but now only do them when company is expected.  I had a gastric bypass, and one rib completely fills me up.  OUCH!  Not even room for a beer!  Company coming around June 1 - youngest daughter is due. 

Family in from Tallahassee then, and I will be smoking up a passle of ribs and chicken wings at the request of the other 5 grandchildren.  It was really funny the last time they were all here in July.  My youngest grandson started fanning his mouth after trying "Grumpy's" chicken wings.  He asked for something to drink very quickly.  After finishing one, he said the heck with it, and had about 8-9 more.  All were stuffed!  They weren't big on ABTs..just a little too spicy for the kids!  I was just a week out of surgery, and I didn't have anything but bland soup!  I do like to cook for others still!

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

IKnowWood

Bill, you are our hero.

Do you keep the probe in the ribs?  In the thickest rib?  I never use internal temps, I can't figure out how to do it.  Might just give it a try.  I used the bend and pull-back and twist.  I think I will do temps next.  Last time I did Apple Cider soak and FTC I did use more juice.  I like the cider soak.  The Cider Mop was Ok, not totally great and the sauce from S&S, yuck!  I will use another sauce and maybe just apple cider / sauce spritz instead of the mop.

Bryan, Skin?  I thought you were from PA?
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes