• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First timer

Started by Lil Smokey, August 25, 2012, 05:17:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lil Smokey

Hey All,

I am super excited because I just got an Original Bradley Smoker as a wedding present!  I have always wanted one.  But now as I am gearing up to use it for the first time, I realize with no experience with cooking with smokers at all, this could turn out very interesting..  I heard everyone on here is awesome so I thought I would try here first.

I am planning on using it for the first time next week for my Fantasy Football draft which is at my place.  I am wanting to to a bunch of ribs, possibly babyback ribs.  I will be seasoning the smoker in the next day or two.

Any recipes or guidance would be greatly appreciated!!   

GusRobin

Here is a link to the forum's web site.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?180-Our-Time-Tested-and-Proven-Recipes

For baby backs I would use a variation of the 3-2-1 method, maybe use 2 1/2 -2-1 When you foil it, drizzle honey on the rack, sprinkle some brown sugar and a tablespoon of butter. Put in meat side down. When you take it out of the foil, be careful to save the juice and mop the ribs with it as you start the last hour.
Don't forget to remove the membrane before you start the ribs.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

TedEbear

Quote from: Lil Smokey on August 25, 2012, 05:17:50 PMAny recipes or guidance would be greatly appreciated!!

Welcome to the forum.  Did you read the How to Make Ribs in a Bradley Pictorial at the top of this section?

beefmann

Lil Smokey

Thanks All!

This may sound like a dumb question for most of you but.. What's the 3-2-1 method? 

I did read the rib pictorial and it definitely got me going. I am still a bit nervous with doing this for the first time here this week.  I understand the membrane removal and applying rub so it can sit overnight but the cooking is still a bit over my head at this point.

I am trying to find a good start up step by step guide to guide me through this first time and get my feet wet.  I will probably rely a bit on the pictorial that was posted

mikecorn.1

Look at the link that Tedbear provided. All you kneed to know about making ribs in the Bradley is there.
Also, I don't apply rub and let them sit overnight. Just prepare and throw them in the smoker. JUST WHAT WORKS FOR ME ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Toker

3-2-1 is 3 hours of smoke, 2 hours of foil and 1 hour of sauce.

muebe

Welcome from Southern California and congrats on your new toy ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Habanero Smoker

Hi Lil Smokey;

Welcome to the forum.

All the steps for cooking are in that pictorial. The pictorial is for spare ribs, so if you are cooking baby backs you want to reduce your cooking time. I don't cook baby backs, so I don't know the adjustment times.

I recommend applying the rub 20 - 40 minutes prior to cooking. I find applying the rub to ribs too early give them a hammy flavor.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

mikecorn.1

Habs hit it on the nose. That's why I don't overnight anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Lil Smokey

You guys are awesome!  Thanks for all the help!  I have gone over that pictorial a few more times and am more confident.  I seasoned the smoker last night and I must admit.. I am REALLY excited to get into this!

2 questions.. First, The pictorial says give a splash of apple juice when you foil.  Is this something everyone does?  Why, why not?  And then second, I assume that for the last hour of smoke after you sauce it is out of the foil, correct?

Thanks again everyone!

NePaSmoKer

KyNola

Some folks add apple juice to the foil as it is supposed to aid in the cooking process and keep the ribs from drying out.  I've done it with and without liquid in the foil and don't see a lot of difference.  Yes, you are correct that the last hour is out of the foil.  Also, there is no need to continue to apply smoke after the first 3 hour period.

TedEbear

Quote from: Lil Smokey on August 27, 2012, 05:48:47 AMFirst, The pictorial says give a splash of apple juice when you foil.  Is this something everyone does?  Why, why not?

I add maybe 1/2-2/3 cup of apple juice in mine to aid in the steaming process for fall-off-the-bone tenderness.  I use the juice afterwards to make some Vermont Maple Glazed Pig Candy to brush on the ribs during the final 15 minutes.

Kahunas

Welcome and the single most importat thing to remember with a Bradley smoker is........Relax and have fun with it. Your gonna love it.
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.