Pre-cooking ribs?

Started by Maticulus, September 01, 2012, 12:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maticulus

I'm a newbie and getting ready to cook some ribs this weekend. I read the Bradley Recipe booklet that came with the new BS611 and it suggested that you pre-cook the ribs for an hour at 350 degrees. Frankly, that is counter to anything I've read about smoking - I thought getting the smoke on the ribs first would be most important. Should I pre-cook them? Is that what most of you do?

Thanks for your replies - this is a great forum!
Maticulus

KyNola

I will speak only for me but I think I also know what the answer would be from some of the other folks.  Short answer is "NO!".

Up In Smoke

QuoteShort answer is "NO!
Absotivley posolutely NO!
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Ka Honu

Actually, there are two answers (since you asked two questions).  The correct answers are, "NO!" and "NO!"

See the great rib tutorial by 10.5 here.

Consooger

never pre-cook the ribs, at least I don't but I haven't been here as long as the rest of everyone else. Anytime I cook my ribs its in one shot, HOWEVER I once did some ribs for my brother and I did the 3 hours and half of the second hour and then vac sealed and stored in the freezer and they came out VERY good.

But again that's just me
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

mikecorn.1

Why would you you pre cook ribs? I've never heard of that. Unless you're talking about b@/!ng them first ;D.
NO!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

TedEbear

Quote from: Maticulus on September 01, 2012, 12:08:38 PMI read the Bradley Recipe booklet that came with the new BS611 and it suggested that you pre-cook the ribs for an hour at 350 degrees.

Ths is in the Bradley recipe book that was included with your new smoker???   :o  I have no idea why they'd suggest something like that.

Maticulus

Thank you for the comments and I believe the answer was a resounding "NO! DO NOT PRECOOK"!  That is what I thought. I pulled the following recipe off the Bradley website which is the same as the Bradley Recipe book. Interestingly, this is the only pork ribs recipe in the booklet and I just noticed the word "Side" in the title. What would be the difference in Pork Spareribs and Pork Side Spareribs?

Like I said - I'm a newbie!

Thanks again.

Pork Side Spareribs
Ingredients

1.5 kg (3 lb) pork side spareribs

Sweet and Sour Sauce for ribs

250 ml (1c) ketchup
    125 ml (1/2 c) brown sugar
    75 ml (1/3 c) vinegar
    30 ml (2 tbsp) Worcestershire sauce
    1 medium onion, finely chopped
    1 clove garlic, finely chopped
    2 ml (1/2 tsp) hot chilli powder (optional)

Preparation

Precook spareribs on rack over a baking sheet at 180°C (350°F) for one hour. Prepare sauce by combining all Sweet and Sour ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer to desired consistency.
Smoking Method

Preheat the Bradley Smoker to approximately 90°C (220°F). Remove spareribs from oven and place on an oiled smoker rack. Brush both sides of spareribs liberally with Sweet and Sour Sauce. Using Hickory flavor bisquettes smoke/cook for 21/2 to 3 hours or until done. Remove occasionally to rebaste with Sweet and Sour Sauce. Cooking time will vary depending upon weather and wind conditions. Meat should be tender and pull easily away from bones when ready to serve.
To Serve

Heat remaining sauce and serve as a dip with ribs and French bread and salad. Be sure to remember finger bowls and lots of napkins!

CLAREGO

ive pre cooked/smoked them to 180. then finish on the hot coals the day after. but never pre cook that high of a temp. :o