Different temps

Started by cragmor, September 21, 2012, 11:38:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cragmor

If I were to do items that like different temps, how should I work this? If one thing likes 200 degrees, and another 250, do you just run the entire batch at 200 until the first is done, the jump it up to 250 until you reach temp? This makes the most sense to me, but I tend to be wrong more than I am right.

Ka Honu

I'd run it at 225o for both and stop worrying about it.  The difference in your OBS is not a big deal since the temp will swing in either direction and be "fairly approximate" unless you have a PID or similar control device.

tskeeter

Based on some of the posts I've seen here and my limited experience, there is a fair amount of temperature difference between the upper and lower racks of most stock Bradley smokers.  Not the 50 degree spread you are looking for, but enough to make a difference.  So I'd put the lower temp items in the top rack and the higher temp items in the bottom, closer to the heating element.  If the lower temp items are pretty temperature sensitive, I'd think about dropping the temp I set to dial in the temp of the top rack and just keep the items on the lower rack in the smoker for another 15 or 30 minutes.