Brine

Started by Fisherman, September 27, 2012, 06:46:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fisherman

I get great results and lots of compliments on my smoked salmon. People tell me they have never tasted better. This is a quick and easy wet brine. 3/4 cup non iodized salt. 1cup white sugar.2cups brown sugar. 2 heaping tsp. Accent. Mix well into 1qt. warm water then add 1qt.cold water. Place salmon pieces in brine. I use a large plastic cake holder upside down. I fillet salmon removing skin and all brown meat. Cut center strip of bone out leaving 2 strips for ea. side of fish. Cut ea. strip about 3 inches long. Soak fish overnight in fridge with lid on. Stir fish a couple of time before bed and again in the morning. 12hrs total time. Pour brine down sink using lid to keep fish from falling out. Rinse fish a couple of times in fresh water in container pouring out liquid after ea. rinse. Place fish in racks in smoker with door shut damper open and heat @50c w/no smoke for about 1 hr. Start smoke, turn to 60c for 3 hrs.  Then finish @ 80c for 2 hrs. or until inside temp. is 140deg. I am sure you will like it. Good smoki'n,Fisherman. I use the non-stick non-stick coated jerky  racks from Bradley. The grid is smaller. Spray with Pam also spray the vented drip pan.
Fall= Salmon,Stealhead, Football and the great smell of smoke!

rajzer

3 cups of sugar in 2 quarts water?  Are you sure?

zymurgymaster

I have a batch going with your recipe as I type.  It looks awesome and the fish was nice and firm coming out of the brine.  The only thing that I did not have time to do was the 12 h brine.  I only let it go for 6 h, fell asleep watching TV last night, sigh...  Oh well.  I'll post pictures and comments tomorrow.

Fisherman

I'm happy you are trying it. It is real hard to mess up. Can't wait to see pics and hear how you like it. 8)

zymurgymaster

Ok,  the fish came off early as it was done to our liking and my DIY controller has issues.  Did not measure the internal temp but it could have gone above 140F.  All that aside, my wife and I totally love it, do it again? Oh Ya, and very soon.  Next time we will do the full 12 hr brine as I believe that it will not be a problem at all and may be better than the 6 hr brine I did.

Keymaster

Nice looking smoked Salmon Fisherman!! Were always interested in new recipes. Thanks for sharing yours :) Looks excellent  :)

Fisherman

zymurgymaster, try this link to see how to download photos. It took me awhile to get the hang of it but it is really rather easy. Make your pics smaller before you dowmload them. Glad you like the salmon. Fisherman 8) It is easier if you have windows side by side. You can copy on one window then paste to the forum.http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?488-Answers-To-Bradley-Smoker-FAQ-s&p=768#post768

Tony Gabriel

Looks delicious!!

destrouk

That looks fantastic !!!!!  :)

Tenpoint5

Your DIY controller had issues, I know. When you do it the next time if your controller is playing fair. Ramp the temps up at a slower and lower rate. That will help keep the buggers (White Snotty stuff also known as fat and oil) from showing up on top of your fish. What you have now looks awesome though, keep it up!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Rckcrwlr

I'm going to try this one...

Thanks...