• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Prime Rib Roast..any tips?

Started by Brady Smoker!, October 03, 2012, 05:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brady Smoker!

I got a prime rib roast on sale today, just looking for some tips on cabinet temp, final IT and if i should cure it or not, thanks guys
BDS 4 RACK

KyNola

Don't cure it. 

You will get several different opinions on how you should cook it.  I won't bother you with mine.  More knowledgeable folks than me will come along and advise you.

FLBentRider

The answer depends on how you like it. We like it rare.

No cure here. Remember that from a food safety perspective with whole muscle meats (NOT SAUSAGE) you are primarily concerned with the temp of the outside of the meat. This will be above 140F in plenty of time.

We rub it, and insert garlic slivers into the meat. I would put four hours of smoke on it @225F until the IT is ~115-118F. This will not take as long as you think. You did not state how big the roast is. It's a lean cut and will get to temp in probably 3 hours, depending on size and evironmental factors.

Then rest it in FTC until 10 minutes before you want to serve it, not more than an hour or two max.

Then pop in into 500F oven for 8-10 minutes. This will create a nice crust and result in a IT of about 125F

Slice and serve.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Brady Smoker!

Its about 4 pounds i like it rare as well thank you for the tips, should i use a texas crutch at a certain IT?
BDS 4 RACK

KyNola

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Grouperman941

Quote from: FLBentRider on October 04, 2012, 08:45:19 AM
The answer depends on how you like it. We like it rare.

No cure here. Remember that from a food safety perspective with whole muscle meats (NOT SAUSAGE) you are primarily concerned with the temp of the outside of the meat. This will be above 140F in plenty of time.

We rub it, and insert garlic slivers into the meat. I would put four hours of smoke on it @225F until the IT is ~115-118F. This will not take as long as you think. You did not state how big the roast is. It's a lean cut and will get to temp in probably 3 hours, depending on size and evironmental factors.

Then rest it in FTC until 10 minutes before you want to serve it, not more than an hour or two max.

Then pop in into 500F oven for 8-10 minutes. This will create a nice crust and result in a IT of about 125F

Slice and serve.

This is exactly what I would do. At 4 pounds, though, it might be done in under 3 hours.

You could also use the grill to put the crust on if you didn't want to heat the oven. Just watch the IT.

I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?