Salami Nocciola (mandorle)

Started by devo, October 25, 2012, 07:01:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JZ

Hey JZ before joining the forum and a few others if someone told me his sausage was molding over I would have told him go see a doctor for sure.  :o :o :o

I just spit some beer onto my keyboard. Good one. ;D ;)

devo

Almost at 35% weight loose but I am looking for at least 40-45 % before cutting into these puppies

The small one started out at 495g and is now sitting at 347g so there is a ways to go yet. Should be ready for Christmas

devo

A little success & a little fail
Sliced the small one up yesterday. I found the texture a little on the grainy side. I think I use to many nuts and the fat should have been grounded up in this recipe. On the bright side there is no case hardening, they taste all right but not great. Going to give them another month or even two before I try them again. I also found the casing hard to come off and thats strange for a natural casing.

JZ

Hopefully they will improve with a little more time. :)

devo

Jan. 1st
and it was time to break out the Salami Nocciola (mandorle) again.
It had lost 45% moisture and was very firm. Much better this time around.
Even better with some smoked Havarti cheese  :)
Don't worry thats not my counter top. That is the counter top at work and its actually a lot cleaner than it looks  ;D

Keymaster

Nice job Don, Pass the cheese and crackers :)

OU812

devo

Some more pictures from home  ;)
This stuff turned out really nice

Sliced and sampled with the smoked Havarti I did back on 10/12

devo

I was having a b*tch of a time getting these casings off of this batch of salami's. They would start to peel but leave behind what looks like the inner surface of the casing. It was making the outer edge tough to chew and not what I wanted. So I came up with using a potato peeler to peel the casing off. Worked real slick.  ;D

OU812

Outstanding!!

Now I gotta go clean the slober off my screen  ;D