Salami Nocciola (mandorle)

Started by devo, October 25, 2012, 07:01:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

devo

Decided to get going on making more salami today. Found a very interesting recipe in Michael Ruhlmans new book "The Craft Of Italin Dry Curing Saumi"

This one is called Salami Nocciola. Nocciola has the meaning "hazelnut" and from the ingredients list you see why this is called Salami Nocciola. OK so here is what you need for this salami. I doubled the recipe. Figured if I am going to make salami lets make more.

4 pounds/1815 grams pork shoulder butt, cut into large dice
1 pound/450 grams pork back fat, cut into large dice
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 ounces/56 grams sea salt
1 teaspoon/7 grams DQ Curing Salt #2
1 tablespoon/6 grams finely ground white pepper
1 tablespoon/12 grams dextrose
1 tablespoon/4 grams chopped fresh tarragon or 1 teaspoon/1 gram dried tarragon
Vi cup/65 milliliters chilled dry red wine
1 tablespoon/10 grams Bactoferm (live starter culture; see Sources, page 267)
2 tablespoons/30 milliliters distilled water
1 cup/120 grams hazelnuts, toasted, skinned, and coarsely chopped
Mold 600 (see page 70 for more information and page 267 for sources) (optional)
Two 18-inch/45-centimeter lengths beef middle, soaked in tepid water for at least
20 minutes and rinsed

Well I looked for hazelnuts all over the place today and could not find any here in town so I went with chopped blanch almonds.
2 cups worth

Now they should be toasted so into the frying pan with some Sesame oil on medium high to brown.

Got the meat all ground up and it was just shy of 6 lbs.

2 lbs. of pork back fat I picked up today all diced up. Going to mix & stuff like that. I like the large chunks in salami.

Beef middles soaking away.

It called for 4 garlic, I have some really big home grown garlic so I went with just four. Think it should be fine. :lol:

Got the rest of the spices and cure measured out.

Now onto mixing the meat. I have a meat mixer but I prefer to do it all by hand.

Fat meets pork

Everybody in the pool and getting to know each other.

Using my hand bomber for these.

I got 6 salami's out of that batch. The last one will be my test salami when it comes time.

Right now they are in my incubation chamber.

They have to spend 12 hours at 80-90 degrees F and about 85% humidity. So the pop cooler I was planning on turning into my new cure chamber is getting broke in being a incubation chamber.
We want the salami to get to a PH of 4.7-5.2. that is why we have it in heat and high humidity. Tomorrow I will check the PHand if it's in range these will get netted and switched over to the curing chamber.
I could go on and on about this but the rest of the wine needs some tender loving care.

JZ

I can't see the pics. Maybe my server again. This has happened several times in the last couple of weeks. Yup - now I see them.

mikecorn.1

Looking good.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

Keymaster

Looksa Gooda, Thats Italian :) I ended up freezing my pork butts and ordered some of THESE to see if I wanted to try and make them.

devo

Checked the PH today and its in the ballpark 5.1.

So today they got netted. For those of you that have wondered how netting is done, this is my way. Just push or pull it through the PVC pipe. Tie it off or hog clip it. I do both.

Make sure you record the green weight. We are looking to loose at least 30% of that even before its close to being done, I like it closer to 45% myself.

Tomorrow they will get sprayed with Mold 600 to give them that nice white GOOD mold on the casings.
So now they are resting in the curing chamber for a few months.

Sam3

Redneckinthecity

This looks great.  I hope you'll entertain a few salami novice questions.

I've been thinking about making a curing chamber from a ~4 cubic foot fridge (dorm size).  I've seen some of the temperature/humidity control devices.  I had assumed I would need a dehumidifier, but from looking at your post, if I also need to incubate, I may need a small heater and humidifier, too?  Your temp/humidity controller looks like an Auber.  Are you happy with it?

How are you checking the pH? 

Thanks.

Redneck

devo

Quote from: Redneckinthecity on October 26, 2012, 08:56:03 AM
This looks great.  I hope you'll entertain a few salami novice questions.

I've been thinking about making a curing chamber from a ~4 cubic foot fridge (dorm size).  I've seen some of the temperature/humidity control devices.  I had assumed I would need a dehumidifier, but from looking at your post, if I also need to incubate, I may need a small heater and humidifier, too?  Your temp/humidity controller looks like an Auber.  Are you happy with it?

How are you checking the pH? 

Thanks.

Redneck

I only used my auber for the incubation part, its back out on my smoker now.  ;) and yes I love it.

For checking the PH I use the HANNA 99161N pH Meter for Food, you can just use PH tape. Its a lot cheaper. I'm single and I like toys  ;D

devo

It took a lot longer this time around to get some action on the white mod to show up. Still one in the front is being a pain in the you know what but it's starting even if you can't see it. Thinking  because the  Mold 600 I have is over 6 months old, it might have not had the kick start as the first time I used it  ??? or because of the dryer air in the house because of the furnace being on might have taken longer for it to work. Again I'm just guessing but it is starting to mold over nicely now. ;D

Smoker John

That's some fine looking salami you have going there
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

NePaSmoKer

Don

Looks really good. You have come a long way with the dry cure.

I only have 2 small chubs of Sopressata left from my dry cure. I miss it but will be back.

OU812

devo

Thanks guys...Just think, about two and half years ago I had no idea what Curing Salts were and I had money to go out with and I couldn't care about the meat department........Oh that seems so long ago  ;D ;D ;D ;D

JZ

Here is something I haven't tried yet and before joining this forum I would have never thought that if someone said
Quoteit is starting to mold over nicely now.
was a good thing. :o

devo

Hey JZ before joining the forum and a few others if someone told me his sausage was molding over I would have told him go see a doctor for sure.  :o :o :o