Help Needed: Smoking Whole Duck

Started by Mark in Ottawa, November 02, 2012, 06:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark in Ottawa

Hi All,
I'm going to be smoking two whole ducks tomorrow for a friend (and a chicken for me) and I have to say I've never done anything like this before and am a bit confused. I've read as much as I could on the forum, and seen different techniques and experiences...to brine or not to brine? Wood selection? Internal Temp controversy - and even whether or not to FTC? Rub selection?

The other complication is that I plan to smoke them tomorrow (Saturday), but he won't be picking it up until Sunday at the earliest, and won't be eating it until probably Monday or Tuesday with the boys at the hunt camp.

So what I'm really asking is does anyone have a "fail safe" method for smoking whole wild ducks that they'd be kind enough to share for me - from start to end process? I don't want to let the boys down, especially since I usually hunt with them and I'd never hear the end of it!

Thanks!

Mark (in Ottawa, Canada)
DBS 4-Rack w/ Auber dual-probe PID
Maverick ET-732

Caribou

Hi Mark,
I have never attempted smoking a duck yet but I have been reading up on it since I want to smoke some wild ducks, too.
This link has appeared on the forum before and seems like a pretty good technique:
http://honest-food.net/2011/12/27/how-to-make-smoked-duck/
Also, I sure some folks with duck smoking experience with chime in, too.
Carolyn

Mark in Ottawa

Thanks for the link, Caroline.

I have the ducks (and my chicken) in two seperate containers with brine (1/2c kosher salt; 1/2c brown sugar; 4 liters water). I'll brine them for about 6-8 hours and then smoke them. I'll set the smoker at 220f and keep it in there until the IT reaches 150, then into a 500f oven for 5-10 mins to crisp up the skin.

I'll let y'all know how it works out.

Mark (in Ottawa)
Maverick ET-732

Mark in Ottawa

Well, quickly realized that it is going to be too cold to smoke this outside, and it was raining. So off to Home Depot, bought insulation and ducting, like I saw here on the forum. With it all together now I'm smoking in the garage and set for the winter. Thanks guys!
Maverick ET-732

JZ

Looks good.

Have you got a fan on the end of that duct? If not you may get smoke backing up in the smoker and coming out of the smoke generator which is not good for it.

mikecorn.1

Ditto. And I like what you did.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

Mark in Ottawa

The birds getting ready for the smoker.
Maverick ET-732

Mark in Ottawa

Hi JZ.  No fan at the end, but there's always a good breeze around here to create a draw. I'll keep an eye on it though, thanks for the heads up!
Maverick ET-732

Mark in Ottawa

Minor modification, I was backdrafting. This seems a to have fixed it for now.

Maverick ET-732

Caribou

We'll be waiting for pictures :)
Carolyn

Mark in Ottawa

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on November 03, 2012, 12:27:14 PM

What kind of fan do you use? I'd be interested to make a modification to my current setup...

Mark (in Ottawa)
Maverick ET-732

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Mark in Ottawa on November 03, 2012, 01:48:34 PM
Quote from: mikecorn.1 on November 03, 2012, 12:27:14 PM

What kind of fan do you use? I'd be interested to make a modification to my current setup...

Mark (in Ottawa)
I myself don't have the set up. But other members talk about placing some type of inline fan. I want to say something like a bathroom vent fan.
Start a thread asking that question and I guarantee you will get answers and maybe pics of setups. It's kinda lost in this thread.

Mike

Mark in Ottawa

Finished duck.

Maverick ET-732

Mark in Ottawa

Finished chicken.

Maverick ET-732