• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

CBB & First Pastrami With Update Pics

Started by JZ, November 03, 2012, 04:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JZ

Got 2 maple CBB's in the smoker today. Here is a pic of them before the smoke.

]

I note that the one in the back had a section that was not pink, like it did not get cured. Doesn't make sense since it was all in the same cure bag.

Here they are after the smoke. They are resting before getting wrapped and into the fridge for 2 days before slicing.

]

Here is a pic of my first try at Pastrami using a recipe Curt was kind enough to send me. Didn't get any before pics but here it is after the smoke.

]

All wrapped up and going into the fridge overnight.

]

Hope this turns out. Picked up some Rye bread and hot mustard for some toasted pastrami and pickle sammies, mmmmmmmm.

Caribou

Great job!
That is strange that one loin cured and the other didn't
Was it a dry rub recipe you used?
You'll just have to eat that one first  ;)
Carolyn

KyNola

The one that appears it didn't cure on one side, any chance that one was pressed up against the curing bag the entire time?  I have read that sometimes that will prevent the meat from curing all the way through due to the "brine" that forms in the bag not having an opportunity to to get to the meat.

Those much more learned than me will come along and give you better information than me. 

JZ

QuoteThe one that appears it didn't cure on one side, any chance that one was pressed up against the curing bag the entire time?  I have read that sometimes that will prevent the meat from curing all the way through due to the "brine" that forms in the bag not having an opportunity to to get to the meat.

That's a good point but I don't think that was it since the line between the apparent cured portion and the apparent uncured section followed along a fat seem in the loin, which was angled. Looks like a seem separating different cut of meat (but I am not a butcher and don't know). I think maybe next time I will try not to get so much air out of the bag so there is more ability for the juices in the bag to make contact with all of the surfaces.

I cooked both loins at 230* until an IT of 142* so they should be safe to eat. I am interested to see the color of the meat inside the area that appeared uncured. If it is pink I will know it got cured if not I will make sure that loin gets cooked a little more before it gets eaten.

Habanero Smoker

I cannot detect anything wrong from your photo. The one you say seems not to have cured, sound like the cut towards the shoulder end. That end has different muscles with different amounts of myoglobin (myoglobin is the protein that reacts to sodium nitrite to form the color). The more myoglobin the darker the color, and vise versa. So both pieces are probably fully cured.

If you bring the internal temperature to 142°F, it is fully cooked and safe to eat, whether it has been cured or not.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

devo

mikecorn.1

Looking good!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

ACW3

They both looked good.  Let us know how the pastrami came out.

Art
MAK 2 Star (# 171)
Weber Kettle (old school charcoal)
KCBS CBJ
NCBS

OU812

That all looks GREAT!

My thinking on the part that looks like it didnt cure is the same as Habs, bet it did cure correctly

That pastrami is gonna be soooooo gooood, remember to slice it against the grain  ;)

JZ

QuoteI cannot detect anything wrong from your photo. The one you say seems not to have cured, sound like the cut towards the shoulder end. That end has different muscles with different amounts of myoglobin (myoglobin is the protein that reacts to sodium nitrite to form the color). The more myoglobin the darker the color, and vise versa. So both pieces are probably fully cured.

If you bring the internal temperature to 142°F, it is fully cooked and safe to eat, whether it has been cured or not.
Thanks Habs.

So "myoglobin" is the culprit. :o I kinda figured it had to be cured and the change in meat was the cause of the different color, but it is reassuring to have someone in the know confirm it. I cooked at the higher temps as a precaution.

Curt, the Pastrami just got unwrapped and is sitting in the fridge to dry a bit. I will slice later (across the grain) and post pics. I can't wait to try this stuff. The rye bread, pickles and hot mustard are all waiting anxiously too. : :)

OU812

JZ

It was lunch time and this thing was calling my name so the wait ended. Getting sliced.
]

]

]

Rye bread with pastrami. The Dijon, pickles and Jalepeno Harvarti waiting their turn.

]

]

After this pic it went into the Micro for a short spin and then it disappeared. ::) You wouldn't want to see those pics.

This stuff is really good. How good ....... my wife who never eats corned beef or pastrami and used to work in a deli, made herself one of these bad boys.  :o :o :o

Oooooh I am doing this again and thanks again to OU812 for the recipe.

OU812

OK,,,,,,Now Im REALLY Hungry!

That there sammie looks GREAT!

Glad ya liked the recipe

Keymaster

Nice job JZ. Someday I will do pastrami :)

Caribou