• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Supper was ready at lunch.

Started by Silvergrizz, November 06, 2012, 10:47:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silvergrizz

After 6 hours smoking my first 4 lb chicken last week (1st attempt), I was taken off guard after a 6.6lb chicken was ready in under 4 hours. Method changed as per your great suggestions, increased temp, kept vent open, used boiling water in bowl. Bradley was set to 280F, but it never got over 209. Chicken was in low salt brine overnight (10 hours) and then allowed to dry for 1 1/2 hours. Coated with peanut oil and Jan's rub. I was only checking temp every 45 minutes, so was amazed at 11Am when temp was at 138. Plan was to pull at 140F and into a preheated 350 oven to crisp up for supper around 5PM. (that's when company was advised was suppertime) In reality, it was coming out of the oven at 12:15PM and onto the table at 12:30. Bottom line, although it was below freezing, the adjustments I made to the procedure made dramatic change to finish time. Switching to Pecan smoke for 2 hours versus apple for 3 made a huge difference for my better half as well. She was impressed. Good news, still meat left for sandwiches for tonight's company.  ;D

JZ

Nice job on the chicken. That is one of my favorite things to smoke.

OU812

Yep,,,,,,,3 hr on chicken start to plate   ;)

Good lookin grub !

Silvergrizz

Quote from: JZ on November 06, 2012, 12:28:52 PM
Nice job on the chicken. That is one of my favorite things to smoke.
I think it is going to quickly become a favourite here as well.

Silvergrizz

Quote from: OU812 on November 06, 2012, 01:49:41 PM
Yep,,,,,,,3 hr on chicken start to plate   ;)

Good lookin grub !
I hope I can use that as guide for future smokes, would certainly make it a while lot easier to plan. Very steep learning curve, but a great journey.