• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Habs beef pastrami recipe from susan minor

Started by Brady Smoker!, November 08, 2012, 05:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brady Smoker!

Im going to give this one a go on saturday, the 4lb brisket point is in the fridge curing right now cant wait for this one.
BDS 4 RACK

KyNola

The recipe is very good.  Here's a trick for you. Look at the point and see what direction the grain of the meat is running.  Slice off a corner of the point AGAINST the grain so when the point has been cured, rubbed and smoked you will be able to tell where to start slicing your pastrami as you want to slice it against the grain.

Good luck and you are in for some great pastrami.   

beefmann

based on my curing of a brisket to pastrami  let it cure for 6 to 7 days before smoking,,, all of mine have been trimmed full briskets. and have taken up to 18 hours to smoke / cook at a box temp of 225 and IT of 195

KyNola

beefmann

Habanero Smoker

I have a biased opinion on this.  :)

With a four pound point, because of the fat content you may want to cure 5 - 6 days. I find taking the meat over 165°F, the pastrami is too dry and I don't like the texture. I also have cooked them as low as 155°F, but generally only go to 160°F. Just make sure you cut across the grain.

KyNola; I like your tip.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

Quote from: beefmann on November 08, 2012, 07:51:46 PM
yes i do.. comes out tender
Interesting, I would have thought it would have wanted to crumble or "pull" when trying to slice at that temp.  That's what I like about this forum.  I learn something new almost everyday.  Thanks Beefmann!

Thanks Habs but I can't take credit for it.  Someone else taught me the tip.  I thought it was geniusly simple so now I just pass it along.  :)

beefmann

Quote from: KyNola on November 09, 2012, 07:40:16 AM
Quote from: beefmann on November 08, 2012, 07:51:46 PM
yes i do.. comes out tender
Interesting, I would have thought it would have wanted to crumble or "pull" when trying to slice at that temp.  That's what I like about this forum.  I learn something new almost everyday.  Thanks Beefmann!

Thanks Habs but I can't take credit for it.  Someone else taught me the tip.  I thought it was geniusly simple so now I just pass it along.  :)

after the smoking / cooking  FTC with apple juice or Apple juice for at least 2 hours,  and once it did crumble .. Though it was a delicious sammy. Before i slice it.. i refrigerate over night and use a meat slicer

Brady Smoker!

Got my pastrami and 2 racks of baby backs in the bradley, having trouble keeping the cabinet temp at 220 with the cold weather here in ontario, its going anywhere from 210 to 250 but everything is going smooth i could really use a pid right about now!
BDS 4 RACK

KyNola

The variance in temp you are seeing is normal when first putting a load in the BDS.  You will see the temp run up and then drop repeatedly but notice that the temp swings will lessen as the meat finally comes up to temp.

You're doing good!

Brady Smoker!

Thanks KyNola the cabinet temp is steady now, the ribs will be done in an hr or two and the pastrami is sitting at 156 right now taking it to 160 then letting it cool in foil then im going to saran wrap and wrap back in foil over night and slice tomorrow for some lunch meat next week. I also mad a batch of my own bbq sauce and a dry rub for the ribs started getting a little more creative from everyones advice and tips on here.
BDS 4 RACK

KyNola