• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

PID Thermocouple question

Started by DetroitSmoke, November 08, 2012, 09:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DetroitSmoke

I plan on a PID setup using Robs post http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?315-PID-Controller and Beefmans post http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=27668.msg329836#msg329836.  I was wondering how to mount the thermocouple in the cabinet.  Do I just let it hang though the vent hole? I would like to have it permanently mounted so it will be constant readings from batch to batch.  Where is the best place to put it?
Bradley BTIS1
Dual Element or Single w/switch
convection fan/switch, extra racks
Big Chief cold smoke gen
Kirkland SS Gas Grill
Please buy me a dual probe PID

muebe

The best place to take the cabinet temperature reading is always just below the lowest rack of food. With that being said you don't want to mount it in one spot so you can move it to just under the lowest rack.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

TedEbear

Quote from: DetroitSmoke on November 08, 2012, 09:22:04 PMI was wondering how to mount the thermocouple in the cabinet.  Do I just let it hang though the vent hole?

I have the Auber TC that has an alligator clip on the end.  I run it through the vent hole and clip it to the bottom of the lowest rack that has meat on it.  It makes a drip loop and any liquid that might get on the wire won't run down inside the TC.

DetroitSmoke

with the clip I would think that thermal transfer from the rack to the clip to the TC would give you the reading of the rack not the air.  I do like the clip idea.  I am thinking two clips soldered together one clipped to the rack and the other cliped to the TC wire not the sensor.  I think the clip is the way to go so far.

Need to drink on it to see what great idea comes to mind
Bradley BTIS1
Dual Element or Single w/switch
convection fan/switch, extra racks
Big Chief cold smoke gen
Kirkland SS Gas Grill
Please buy me a dual probe PID

JZ

Quotewith the clip I would think that thermal transfer from the rack to the clip to the TC would give you the reading of the rack not the air.  I do like the clip idea.  I am thinking two clips soldered together one clipped to the rack and the other cliped to the TC wire not the sensor.  I think the clip is the way to go so far. I asked Auber this question before and they stated that the rack heat does not affect the probe reading

Need to drink on it to see what great idea comes to mind.  Does that help .... I find it causes headaches the next day and then I can't remember what brilliant idea I had the night before ::)