Walleye candy

Started by viper125, November 16, 2012, 05:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper125

Well smoked some cheese today came out great.  Only had three bricks so cut in half and threw on top rack. Just ran smoke generator at first and smoker stayed below 110 Degrees. This caused me to alter my smoker temps and lengths. Also still revising my walleye recipe. But it is so close. This batch was the best ever. Wife who really don't like smoked foods much say this is very good. And she has always dislike most all  smoked fish. Color is a nice light brown and flavor is sweeter almost like candy. So figured Id share in case some ones interested.

Walleye Candy.

3/4 cup of Brown Sugar
1 TBS of Non iodized salt
1 cup Kikkoman Soy Sauce
3 cup Water
1 1/2 cup White Wine
1 TBS Cayenne Pepper
1 TBS White pepper
1 TBS Onion Powder

Mix all ingredients in pan on low heat till Blended well. Place in refrigerator till cold and add fish. Brine over night or like I did 12 hours.

Remove from Brine and wash in cold water. Place on racks and put under fan.
Air dry under fan for 1 hour. Turn on Smoke 1 hour with just smoke generator on. Increase heat to 145 for 3 hours. Roll smoke again for 2 more hours at 152 degree Then increase to 170 till done if needed.

Fish are a lighter color and very sweet and good. almost a maple flavor the wife says.

OldHoss

I do some Indian Candy Salmon - a expensive task to say the least as I use Maple Syrup and Honey.  This looks like a good alternative.  Gonna give your recipie here a try at some point Viper - thanks.
If you have it - smoke it.

devo

Hey Viper you should try smoking fish like I do  ;D ;D ;D

viper125

Devo that looks more like drying then smoking. LOL! My Grandfather had a large smoke house when I was a child. And ive seen it look that way on occasion with fish. His was around 15 or 20 ft square log cabin. Had barrels of salt around the walls And meat hanging a lot of the time. I remember his wood fire in the middle of the floor. LOL! Can't remember much exactly. But I was young and amazed. As they had no electric,gas or running water. And of coarse here in Ohio we had it all! Sure miss those days and I would enjoy being able to go back to a simpler and happier time.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

SiFumar

Ha! My brother smokes similar to that, then cans it.

He uses willow to smoke.  Then cans it.  He sent me some and it's really good!

viper125

Hmm that looks good but what type of fish is it and explain a little more about how he does it.
You to Devo
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

SiFumar

It's salmon...he lives in Alaska.  What do you need to know?  I'll ask him.

JZ

I'd be interested too. More interested if he uses any type of cure / brine or just hangs them raw. Also how long they are in the smoke house. Just curiosity, as I am not going to build a big smoke house and do this. :)