• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Cold smoke question

Started by Brady Smoker!, November 23, 2012, 03:33:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brady Smoker!

If i cold smoke a pork loin to make pulled pork in the crock pot will it loose the smoke flavour if it sits in the fridge over night? The temp will be Between 0 and 5 celsius, thats the temp here in ontario right now, the only heat i will have is whatever the smoke element will put off, any suggestions?
BDS 4 RACK

ExpatCanadian

I wouldn't think so...  I cold smoke steaks all the time, wrap them up in some cling film and into the fridge overnight.  The smoke definitely persists through a grilling.  Not sure if the longer cook time in the slow cooker would cause it to fade or not, but somehow I doubt it. My only comment might be on the choice of meat...  the loin is pretty lean and the PP may be a bit dry without some additional liquid added.  But anyway... experiments are fun...  and it'll taste good no matter what!  Let us know!

CoreyMac

I did a pulled pork a couple weeks ago in the slow cooker. I put about 4 hrs of smoke on it then into the cooker, the level of smoke wasn't quite what I've gotten if I do the pork all in the smoker but it was still good. Just try to keep the liquid off the meat when its in the cooker. Either put it on a rack or just pull off the liquid once in a while. You still need a little liquid in the bottom but keep it to a minimum. It came out so tender we could eat it with a spoon. ;D

I would think wrapping the pork in plastic wrap over night would hold the smoke flavor untill you are ready to slow cook it.

Corey

destrouk

I do my pork in the smoker for 12 hours let it rest then dice it up and vac seal it into 2 to 3lb chunks ..then slow cook em to order ..with some apple juice and water on low for like 3 hours

Tenpoint5

You wont loose any smoke flavor if you wrap the loin in plastic wrap. I will add IMHO that is way too good of a cut of meat to be making into pulled pork! I would suggest finding a boston butt, pork shoulder roast, pork blade roast. They would fit the bill much better and not risk the chance of being dry
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

destrouk

he is right not enough fat for good pulled pork

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: destrouk on December 11, 2012, 04:42:57 PM
he is right not enough fat for good pulled pork

For those on low fat diets the loin can be used to make pulled pork. When finished you do need a sauce of some type to add moisture.

Pulled Pork Loin

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

destrouk

NePaSmoKer

Chris

You should know better than to post anything because your not the master of all things smoked, steamed, fried, baked, poached, brined, cured, fermenting and so on and so on.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on December 12, 2012, 09:24:43 AM
Chris

You should know better than to post anything because your not the master of all things smoked, steamed, fried, baked, poached, brined, cured, fermenting and so on and so on.

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)