two meats at once

Started by wrs75, December 01, 2012, 05:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrs75

i am new to smoking, i am using a new obs . i am going to do a brisket and thought about a loin also should i let the brisket go several hours then put the loin in and more smoke.i know the loin will cook alot faster than brisket. any suggestions appreciated.

GusRobin

How big is the brisket? I have done 12 lb that have taken 15 hours. So be prepared.

I would start with the brisket and smoke and when you add the loin I would add more smoke.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Ka Honu

I've done a brisket-butt mix and would probably use a similar technique by setting up the smoker for five hours of smoke.  I'd put the brisket in for 1-2 hours and then add the loin for the remaining 3-4 hours (or until it's done - whichever comes first).  Then pull the loin when it's finished and keep cooking the brisket until it hollers.

Consooger

Quote from: Ka Honu on December 01, 2012, 06:08:13 PM
I've done a brisket-butt mix and would probably use a similar technique by setting up the smoker for five hours of smoke.  I'd put the brisket in for 1-2 hours and then add the loin for the remaining 3-4 hours (or until it's done - whichever comes first).  Then pull the loin when it's finished and keep cooking the brisket until it hollers.

What he said!
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

wrs75

thanks for the answers, i did the brisket overnight and put the loin in this morning and added more smoke. the brisket was only about 4 pounds tried to keep temp around 225 and after about 8 hours it was 190 it. the loin only took a couple hours to get to 155 should i use lower temp in smoker so it will cook longer. it was still tender but not very smoky.

Ka Honu

In general with a Bradley you reach a point of quickly diminishing returns after about four hours of smoke, so smoking something longer than that doesn't usually make all that much difference.  This is especially true for smaller cuts which cook faster and therefore go through the temperature range at which smoke adheres best relatively quickly.  In the case of your (presumably fairly small) pork loin, turning it down to a lower temp might allow you to get closer to the full four hours.

KyNola

What was the raw weight of the loin and did you have a loin or tenderloin?  The reason I ask is getting a loin to 155 in only 2 hours at 225 seems pretty quick to me unless it was a very small loin or a tenderloin.

wrs75

Quote from: KyNola on December 03, 2012, 07:18:50 AM
What was the raw weight of the loin and did you have a loin or tenderloin?  The reason I ask is getting a loin to 155 in only 2 hours at 225 seems pretty quick to me unless it was a very small loin or a tenderloin.

it was a loin  and about 2.5# my wife bought a big loin and cut it into large pieces, i am wondering if it would of been better to smoke the whole thing then freeze smaller portions for later. she did the same with a 16# brisket, cut it into 4 pieces

KyNola

I too buy a whole loin, typically about 10 pounds and cut it into thirds.  Smoke one piece.  The other pieces I vac seal and freeze for later use.  What were you using to gauge the temp in the Bradley and the meat?  The gauge in the door of the tower can be inaccurate.  You may have been cooking at a higher temp that you thought.