• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Corned Beef Pastrami Experiment

Started by DetroitSmoke, December 04, 2012, 09:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DetroitSmoke

Spent a lot of time reading on how to smoke a CCB turns out there are many ways drastically different.  Smoke to 150F and slice.  Smoke then Cook to 185-190F and slice.  cook to 150F then steam for 2-3 hours

Here's what I did.  Soaked both CBB's in water for 24+ hours, changing the water three times.  Used a rub posted by Ka Honu doubled for two briskets (might want to cut back on the peppercorns somewhat).  Smoked both @225F for 4 hours until the temp reached 155F.  Wrapped one and in the fridge and sliced the other for Rubens.  The next day I steamed the other one wrapped in tin foil till a IT of 195F.

THE RESULTS:  The brisket cooked to 155F and sliced was good but very much on the tough side.  The steamed brisket was the best I've ever had moist,  tender and full of flavor.  From now on smoking to 150-165 then steaming to 185-195 is the way to go for me.

Bradley BTIS1
Dual Element or Single w/switch
convection fan/switch, extra racks
Big Chief cold smoke gen
Kirkland SS Gas Grill
Please buy me a dual probe PID

Habanero Smoker

Good to read you were successful.

It's hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like you sliced with the grain. If so, that will make it tougher to chew. Slicing against the grain and thinner slices, you will get a much tender slice.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

DetroitSmoke

Yes after I posted the picture I could see what it looks like.  That slice is from the first few slices I made to figure out which way the grain went.  The rest were correctly cut against the grain.  Next time I might use toothpicks to mark the grain.  Just woke up and already had 4 slices with my coffee.  The rest wont last till noon.
Bradley BTIS1
Dual Element or Single w/switch
convection fan/switch, extra racks
Big Chief cold smoke gen
Kirkland SS Gas Grill
Please buy me a dual probe PID

KyNola

Another method you can use to mark the direction to slice in is prior to applying the rub, determine which direction the grain runs and slice off a corner of the brisket against the grain.  That way you will know where to begin slicing and not have to worry about forgetting about a toothpick in your pastrami.

Your pastrami looks good.

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

JZ

Thanks for posting the results of your experiment. Now I will try steaming next time and hopefully my results will be as good as yours. :)

smoke em if you got em

Thanks for the good info. I have made pastrami a few times but haven't steamed it. I will next time.

Mike
OBS w/ dual element and fan mods
Dual-Probe auber pid
Charbroil BEESR
Charbroil SRG
Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator
Outdoor Gourmet pellet grill
Old Smokey #22 charcoal grill
Camp Chef DLX pellet grill