• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pork Shoulder - newbie

Started by gman2112, December 06, 2012, 06:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman2112

Hey Guys and Gals, a buddy of mine wants to smoke a 15lb pork shoulder for pulled pork.  He says he will rub it up and inject with a personal marinade.  How long would it take, what temp, and what flavours (apple, alder, etc)?
Thanks

GusRobin

You should cook to an internal temperature not time. I have done 8 lb pork butts at 225* and they have taken anywhere from 12- 18 hrs. I would think a 15# would take anywhere from 18-20 something hours.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

gman2112

Thanks for the advice, internal temp of what ....... to pull nicely off the bone?

KyNola

Take it to 190-200 for fall apart goodness.  Don't be surprised if it takes longer than 18-20 hours.  I have had them go 24-26 hours.  It all depends on the pig.  Also, somewhere along the way the internal temp of the shoulder is going oto stall, somewhere between 145-160.  It will stall for a few hours and may drip a degree or two.  Don't panic.  That is when the magic is happening.  Don't bump the temp up in the smoker in an effort to get the temp in the pork to rise.  The stall is when all of the collagen and connective tissues begin to melt and goodness happens.  The temp in the pork will begin to rise again I promise.

For pulled pork I smoke and cook at 225.  One other thing you can do is to smoke it in the Bradley at 225 and at the end of the smoking period transfer it to a rack in a roasting pan and put it in your house oven set at 225.  After the smoking period the Bradley is nothing more than an Easy Bake Oven.

Good luck and let us know how it's going.

gman2112

Awesome advice than you, how long to smoke?  We would like a real smoky flavour, but 26 hours ?????? and what flavour do you suggest?
thanks
P.S. will take pics and post

Grouperman941

Quote from: gman2112 on December 06, 2012, 07:10:43 PM
Awesome advice than you, how long to smoke?  We would like a real smoky flavour, but 26 hours ?????? and what flavour do you suggest?
thanks

3-4 hours.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

JZ

I would use Hickory.

My experience so far is that the smoke is not as strong as I was expecting. Most of the smokey flavor is in the "bark", the dark crust that develops on the outside. There is little smokey flavor in the meat itself. I think the smokey flavor is more pronounced the next day after a rest in the fridge in an airtight container. Take the bark and mix it in well with the meat and it will be more flavorful the next day, IMHO. The meat is incredibly juicy and tender though when it is pulled from the bone and it's hard not to eat a whole bunch while you're pulling. ENJOY. :)

Grouperman941

Quote from: Grouperman941 on December 06, 2012, 07:15:20 PM
Quote from: gman2112 on December 06, 2012, 07:10:43 PM
thanks

3-4 hours.

and my favorite smoke on pork so far is pecan.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

JZ

Quoteand my favorite smoke on pork so far is pecan.

Mine too, but if he is looking for a more pronounced smoke, then Hickory might give it to him. I used Pecan on my last one and even gave it another hour of smoke towards the end of the cook. It still wasn't a strong smokey flavor; good but not strong.

Consooger

I love my pork with Cherry or Pecan, but if he wants a stronger smoke flavor I would go with 4 hours of hickory or mesquite.

"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

TedEbear

Quote from: gman2112 on December 06, 2012, 06:30:10 PMHow long would it take, what temp, and what flavours (apple, alder, etc)?
Thanks

If you want a ballpark estimate it usually takes 1.5-2 hours per lb.  As others have said, always cook by internal temp, not time.

I usually go with sweet flavors for pork and things like hickory for beef.  I cook mine at 220 to an internal temp of 195 and smoke for the first 4 hours only.