• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

FTC Question

Started by sthomasaz, December 14, 2012, 03:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sthomasaz

How long can you FTC a pork should and still have it safe to eat. I want to smoke a shoulder tonight, this morning to have it done around noon.

Then I would want to take it out so I can do some ribs and chicken.

I was wondering if I did it overnight so it was done this morning, how long it would be ok to FTC and still be safe to serve guests.

mikecorn.1

A properly FTC piece of meat will stay piping hot for hours on end. Don't ask me how I found that out while opening some ribs I took over in the morning to my moms and we had then for dinner. OUCH!!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

GusRobin

As long as it doesn't drop below 140 for more than 4 hours. I have FTCd for 4-5 hours and it was still as hot as it when in (or seemed that way). Just make sure you have a good cooler, double foil, and wrap a towel. If I have a lot of space in the cooler I will also throw in a bunch of newspapers for added insulation.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

TedEbear

Quote from: sthomasaz on December 14, 2012, 03:48:54 PMI was wondering if I did it overnight so it was done this morning, how long it would be ok to FTC and still be safe to serve guests.

It's too late to start it so that will be done THIS morning  ;D but they do taste pretty good reheated.  I've done the FTC thing for up to 4 hours. 

You can always cook it, pull it, put it in the fridge and then reheat it when you're ready to serve.  I reheat mine by sealing it in a baking pan with foil on top and maybe a cup of apple juice inside.  Then, into the oven at 250*F for a couple of hours.

DetroitSmoke

Just wondering, when you FTC do you pre heat the cooler with hot water or something?  Do most people add any liquid when they wrap in foil?
Bradley BTIS1
Dual Element or Single w/switch
convection fan/switch, extra racks
Big Chief cold smoke gen
Kirkland SS Gas Grill
Please buy me a dual probe PID

TedEbear

Quote from: DetroitSmoke on December 14, 2012, 11:07:21 PM
Just wondering, when you FTC do you pre heat the cooler with hot water or something?  Do most people add any liquid when they wrap in foil?

No, it'll stay hot enough from its own heat.  I just wrap it in foil without adding any luquid.