• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Tangy Pork Roll Time Again! Many photos...beware!

Started by Kevin A, December 15, 2012, 07:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pikeman_95

Nice job Kevin. I am waiting for the cut shots. You are a very good photographer and a nice preacher ;D ;D and a very good illustrator.
KC

mez

Kevin A

Mez, I'll post the recipe I used when I get the chance. It's pretty easy.

Back to the Smoker: I pulled the meat sticks after 7 hours and let them cool on a rack ( see my other thread if interested in seeing the sticks), and placed the 3 large chubs into a 160° hot water bath. The IT of the chubs was at 128° when I pulled them from the smoker. After 25 minutes, they were ready (154°) to pull from the poacher. From there, into an ice bath and an overnight stay in the refrigerator.

NEXT DAY: It's sample time!
The chubs had firmed up nicely and were ready to slice.
The roll had an nice sweet, smokey aroma as I sliced it. The appearance was nice & uniform—even a bit more emulsified than the typical store-bought stuff.

On to the grill: Mmmmmm! The smell of Taylor's Ham cooking is reminiscent of both bacon AND of ham!

Great way to start the day! Sweet, smokey, tangy (!).....I like a little mustard on mine, but Taylors Ham is pretty darn tasty by itself

Overall, the flavor in this recipe is REAL close to the Taylor's Ham I had from NJ. My wife concurs.
One of the great things about making it yourself is tweaking it to your own tastes (more tang, less sweetness, etc.), and I know EXACTLY what is in it.

Kevin

Sam3

Looks just like our local Taylor Ham. (we drop the "s" when pronouncing).  ;D

Nothing better than a "THEC" on Sunday morning.  ;) Awesome job again!

pikeman_95

Kevin
Those cut shots look fantastic. I showed the pictures to my wife and she asked if I was feeling deprived. And I said yes I was!!!! I can almost smell that cooking. When you get that recipe posted I will put it on our excel sheet. Thanks for your great pictures.
Kirby

OU812

Now thats what Im talkin about

Mine look like "packman" when done cookin  ;D

Kevin A

Quote from: pikeman_95 on December 18, 2012, 05:10:32 PM
When you get that recipe posted I will put it on our excel sheet. Thanks for your great pictures.
Kirby
Thanks, Kirby. Here's what I used to make this. DO adjust the ECA to your tastes. WE like a lot of TANG so used the max amount shown.

Kevin

PORK ROLL (TAYLORS HAM)

Pork Butt......7lbs/3175g
Bacon.........3lbs/1361g
Kosher Salt....34g
Dextrose.......18g
Cure#1.........10.5g*
White Pepper...11g
Port...................2 TBL
Encapsulated Citric Acid (ECA)......17g—34g**
*Less needed due to cure present in bacon
** Level of tang; adjust to taste.

1.   Partially freeze bacon & pork
2.   Grind bacon & pork through medium plate
3.   Mix pork, bacon & all spices, cure & port—except for the ECA.
4.   Regrind the mixture with a fine plate (3mm) —if smoother consistency is desired.
5.   Add ECA & mix well before stuffing.
6.   Fry a sample & adjust seasonings if necessary
7.   Stuff into 3"+ fibrous casings or muslin sack(s).

SMOKE
Prewarm smoker to 120°
• Hang chubs for an hour or so to dry.
• Smoke at 130-150° for 3-4 hours until IT reaches 125° or higher.

POACH
Poach in 165° water bath until IT hits 152°
Drop in ice bath & keep them there until IT reaches 100°
Refrigerate overnight to firm before slicing.

classicrockgriller

SouthernSmoked

Dang Kevin...........you've done it again. Awesome!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

JZ

You sure know how to make a guy drool. Nice job ...... again and thanks for the recipe.

mez

So this ECA Encapsulted  citric acid    I don't think I can get this locally .Is there a sub for it that I might be able to get?

Kevin A

Quote from: mez on December 19, 2012, 07:15:24 PM
So this ECA Encapsulted  citric acid    I don't think I can get this locally .Is there a sub for it that I might be able to get?
I order mine from Butcher & Packer in Mich. It's fairly cheap.
http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=86_109&products_id=896

You can get 'tanginess' by adding other products (Fermento, dry buttermilk powder & the like), but I'm sure others will chime in with more experience using these products.

Kevin

mez

Kevin A

Quote from: mez on December 20, 2012, 03:23:01 PM
Is citric acid the same as ECA?
ECA is temp released into the meat once the temp hits 130°. 'Regular' citric acid goes to work right away. I'm not sure of the ratio to meat on the reg CA.

SiFumar

That looks just perfect!  Will have to try it for sure!  It costs 7.95lb here! >:(