• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Beer can Turkey

Started by charlesk, January 03, 2013, 12:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlesk

I was browsing you tube and came across this video on smoking a turkey beer can style
Has anybody done this type of smoking
where do you get the support for the bird
can you cook a 12 lb bird in three hours
I would really like to try this as I am doing a 12lb  bird next weekend
I was going to brine and smoke it for a get together we are having so 3 hrs would be better than 6
but getting the support may be a problem for me  (live in Canada, nothing here but snow and potholes ;D)
any thoughts

here is the link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgiy-p4DK8g

thanks Charlie
4 Rack DBS, dual element mod, Auber single probe PID, Maverick temp probe

Habanero Smoker

You can use a "tall-boy" size beer can, in a pinch. Just make sure you use a pie pan for more support.

The type of vertical smoker he is using in the video, I purchased a similiar type a few years ago from a company called Spanek. They are a California based company and the roasters are made in the USA.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

zueth

I used the Spanek Vertical Roaster this year and they worked great.

KyNola

I'll let others more knowledgeable than me comment but I don't see a 12 lb bird getting done in 3 hours in a Bradley.  When you put that cold 12 lb bird in your Bradley, the heat is going to drop like a rock and take awhile to recover as the cold bird is going to act like a 12 lb heat sink.  Preheat your Bradley as high as you can get it before putting the bird in.  You could also consider placing some foil wrapped bricks UNDER the drip tray to help retain heat.  Some even preheat the bricks in their house oven first.

Last, make sure the vent stays wide open.  The bird will release a lot of moisture that needs to get out of there as soon as possible.  Moisture in the tower will hold your temps down.

Others more knowledgeable than me will come along to correct any erroneous information I may have given you.

Last EDIT:  I took a look at the video.  When he slices the breast off, take a look at the thigh he exposes.  Maybe I am looking at it incorrectly or that is not the thigh meat but something there looks very maroonish purplish red, as in not done.  He stated that the temp in the tower was only 200.  Now I'm even more confident that his method and timing is flawed.

NePaSmoKer

You are correct Ky

The turkey leg is thigh area is not done. Notice how he turned it and moved out of the way real fast.

And what was the chain for? Looked kinda crusty and nasty looking.
Watch the video. Notice how the turkey was so wet and when he cut the breast how much liquid came out....Sprayed for the video

I will stick with doing turkey in my WSM where i can get 250-350* temps

Tenpoint5

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on January 03, 2013, 02:43:00 PM
You are correct Ky

The turkey leg is thigh area is not done. Notice how he turned it and moved out of the way real fast.

And what was the chain for? Looked kinda crusty and nasty looking.

I will stick with doing turkey in my WSM where i can get 250-350* temps
I have to agree with you guys. That bird is not cooked if the breast meat was only taken to 150 in my opinion
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

charlesk

thanks for the info guys
the turkey gets cooked till it is done
so my question is
is vertical roasting any better than the conventional or just something a little different

KyNola

In my opinion it is just a different technique.  I do like the roasting stand he had(minus that stupid dirty looking chain)as it allows the smoke and heat to come up both inside and outside of the turkey.

Habanero Smoker

I just had a chance to look at the video. The vertical roaster will shorten your cooking time because the heat enters the cavity more easily and you are cooking more efficiently.  It also allows additional smoke to enter the cavity.

By him cooking until the breast meat registered 150°F, he under cooked the turkey. When cooking the white meat alone I will only take it up to about 152°F, but when cooking the whole bird you need to place the thermometer in the deepest part of the thigh and bring it up to 165°F.

You don't need a chain that large, but if you ever used that type of vertical roaster you know how handy that accessory could be; especially if you are using a vertical water smoker like a WSM. I'm going to use that idea.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Ka Honu

I have used the vertical roaster for chicken for years and always thought it let the bird cook more evenly and quickly than other methods for the reasons Habs stated. 

As Habs also said, he only smoked to 150o measured in the breast.  No wonder it got "underdone" so quickly.

Not sure I see the chain as really useful as a "handle" (but then again, I have a couple of Char Broil basket hooks from TBE/SRG).

ratherbboating

I just smoke a turkey (New Year day) with a "beer" can holder sort of like what he is using.  Brine over night in a simple salt solution.  Into a preheated 220 smoker.  2 hours of cherry.  Took it out around the 5 hour mark (IT in breast was 155, but didn't check the legs/thighs till in the house, they were around 145-150).  Put into the over to finish it (cover in foil). About 30 minutes.  Good smoke taste and was not dry.
The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude. Julia Child

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Ka Honu on January 04, 2013, 07:44:53 AM

Not sure I see the chain as really useful as a "handle" (but then again, I have a couple of Char Broil basket hooks from TBE/SRG).

I've been rethinking the chain. It does look like more of a "see what else I can add";  ;D then something that is functional.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

DaveT261

I watched the video too and I dont think there is any way a turkey can be completely cooked in that amount of time on a smoker, that falls into the cook temp for an oven roasted bird..  I usually butterfly mine and I always cut the joint between the leg and the thigh so they cook quicker.  I have never smoked one on the the Bradley but I do understand the turkey is placed above the heating element but 3 1/2 hours is beyond my belief.  Even on my offset I usually just use my main chamber and set it up for indirect heat.  A purple thigh looks like trouble to me..

oakville smoker

I cranked a turkey out yesterday in my Big Easy
10 pounder
With the heat on high and out of the wind, it took just about 3 hours to hit the right IT
It was vertically roasted on a turkey canon, minus the beer can

I was lazy ( OK I was off skiing while the bird was de frosting ) and did not have time to brine
Its the first turkey I have made in a couple of years without brining, now I know the difference
The bird was edible but the brine really does make a huge difference.  I did inject it
The brine is now mandatory at my house
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

charlesk

just placed an order with Spanek for the vertical  turkey and ham holders. Thanks for the link
can't wait till they get here.Be nice if they sold stuff like that here