any australian cheese smokers on forum

Started by sprightlyone, January 12, 2013, 03:24:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprightlyone

hi
i`m considering smoking some  cheese
who in australia has smoked any of the australian cheese varieties ?? which one`s work the best
which method did you use ?
my masterbuilt smoker starts@ 40c so obviously too hot
if i use only smoke how to regulate temp ??
lyle

Salmonsmoker

Sprightlyone,

I've never seen Aussie cheese in my neck of the woods, but I've smoked cheddar, sharp, med. and mild, havarti provolone, swiss, colby-jack, pepperjack(jalapeno), brie, mozzarella, even cream cheese. They are all excellent. You'll want to keep the temp. between 40F(5C) and 90F(32C). Any higher than 90F and the moisture and oil will come out and the cheese will be dry and crumbly. Smoke from 2-4 hrs. Can you rig your smoker to cold smoke like you can a Bradley? Bowls or blocks of ice in the smoking chamber will help keep the heat down if that's a problem. If you can't remove your smoke generator to an unattached position, these little treasures work great and produce very little heat.  http://www.amazenproducts.com/. Don't know if something like this is available there, but- Amaze-n ships world wide.This will allow you to rig up a cold smoke attachment. Hope this helps.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

tskeeter

Sprightlyone,  I cold smoked cheese in my Masterbuilt smoker using a device called a Grill Kicker (available through Amazon and many other sources).  Basically, it's an aluminum holder and a cartridge of wood pellets that I sat in the bottom of the smoker.  Because the Grill Kicker is small, it doesn't add much heat to the smoker.  Cartridges are available in a variety of woods.  I preferred apple to the other varieties.  Each cartridge burns for about 30 minutes.  Since I prefer a lighter smoke, I found that 30 minutes was enough smoke for me (vent half open).  If I wasn't paying attention, the cheese might "soak" in the smoker for an additional 30 to 60 minutes.  Then to the vac sealer and into the fridge for a month of aging. 

Note that the only function the smoker serves is to contain the smoke and support the racks the cheese is on (the smoker isn't plugged in, so no heat).