How long will a pork butt keep in the refrigerator?

Started by JohnM70, January 31, 2013, 11:26:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnM70

I bought a pork butt on Thursday (a week ago). The temperature was not conducive to smoking (30 and 20MPH wind). I decided to hold off for a few days. Well things worse. Today the temp is -6 and wind chill is about -35. I just love SD. I vacuum sealed the butt, the corners have a little air pocket. The weather will break early next week 40's. Our refrigerator temp is 38-40.

Will I be safe for a few more days or should I freeze the butt? I could start the smoking today or tonight but I am not sure how long the process will take not that I am going anywhere. I do wrap a blanket around the box.

I will provide pictures when I smoke this time.

John
Bradley 6 Rack BDS with cold smoke attachment, Maverick remote dual temp(2), Thermapen and,  Auber Dual Probe PID, 1300 Watt Mod, Weber Genesis E310

"I keep cutting it off and cutting it off and it is still too short"

GusRobin

How much does the butt weigh? I have had 8 lb butts at 225* take anywhere from 16-20hrs.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

beefmann

i say freeze it ... or cure it into ham hopefully by then  the weather  will settle down

Habanero Smoker

Go by the use/freeze by date that should be on the label. The last butt I purchased was cryovac, and the use/freeze by date was three weeks from the day that I purchased it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

JohnM70

Do you know that split second after you press the 'enter key' you wish you had not. Well first of all the "use or freeze by date" is 2/11/2013 obviously I did not look at; also, it is a 5lbs butt. The weather is warming up (for the Midwest), it will be in the 30's by Saturday. I am going to give it a try. I am sure it will be done by Superbowl time. I am going to check SAM's and some local meat markets to see if I can find large butts. The 5 LBS is largest the local market had.

I am going to check the rubs in the forum.

My goal is to be sure my brain is engaged :-[  the next time... more to come.

John
Bradley 6 Rack BDS with cold smoke attachment, Maverick remote dual temp(2), Thermapen and,  Auber Dual Probe PID, 1300 Watt Mod, Weber Genesis E310

"I keep cutting it off and cutting it off and it is still too short"

car54

TedEbear

Quote from: JohnM70 on February 01, 2013, 11:17:50 AM
Do you know that split second after you press the 'enter key' you wish you had not.

There's always the "modify" button to edit your posts.   And if you edit it within the first 60 seconds after you post it there won't even be a mention of that in your edited message.   ;)

Anyhow, if I'm not going to smoke a butt within a day or two after I purchase it I trim the fat cap off, wrap it in freezer paper and stick it in the freezer.  Our local grocery frequently has pork butts on sale for $.99/lb or less and it's hard to pass up a good deal.  I sometimes have two or three in the freezer before my wife starts complaining about running out of room and then I start cooking them.

When I'm eventually ready to cook it I take it out of the freezer, wipe it down with molasses, sprinkle some rub and stick it in the Bradley, still frozen.  After the initial 3-4 hour smoke session is done I insert the meat probe and let it finish cooking.

KyNola