Cooking Temps over 225

Started by 4given, February 21, 2013, 07:41:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4given

So under what conditions / recipies and etc  are you guys using your Bradleys at temps over 225F?

Am contemplating PID controller choices and so far I have never somokerd at over 225. A lot of the time I could never get my smoker up tp 225 any way. Thr Ranco looks attractive because of the price but it only goes up to 220F.

Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Green Mountain Grill "Daniel Boone" Pellet Grill
Webber "Q" 100

BAM1

Bought my PID more to control temperature swings and recovery.
Pork Stars KCBS BBQ Team
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID/900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
Traeger Texas model w/Savannah Stoker
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Charbroil SRG
Backwoods Fatboy
KCBS CBJ

devo

The only time I tried to get over 225 was when I was doing turkey. I think I came close to 250F but can;t remember thats how often I do it  ;D

smoker pete

Adding an Auber PID will not increase the temperatures in your Bradley.  Like BAM1 said, it's for controlling the temp.  To get your temps beyond what your max is now would require a second element modification or something like a 900 watt element.  If you perform a mod then you will need a PID to control it.  There are a zillions posts on how to do mods.

The Bradley is not designed to go much beyond 250ºF.  It does a great job for those Low-and-Slow recipes.  Many people use the Bradley for the smoking and then transfer the product to a grill, oven, SRG, and/or pellet smoker-grill to finish the cook.

I have a PID for my Bradley and use my SRG and/or pellet grill in conjunction with the OBS.  A person's got to have their tools  ;)

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

rexster

Yep some of my best ribs are done on the Bradley for smoke flavor finished on my gasser to slightly char the outside and do a glaze with sauce
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

4given

Quote from: smoker pete on February 21, 2013, 08:17:35 AM
Adding an Auber PID will not increase the temperatures in your Bradley.  Like BAM1 said, it's for controlling the temp.  To get your temps beyond what your max is now would require a second element modification or something like a 900 watt element.  If you perform a mod then you will need a PID to control it.  There are a zillions posts on how to do mods.

The Bradley is not designed to go much beyond 250ºF.  It does a great job for those Low-and-Slow recipes.  Many people use the Bradley for the smoking and then transfer the product to a grill, oven, SRG, and/or pellet smoker-grill to finish the cook.

I have a PID for my Bradley and use my SRG and/or pellet grill in conjunction with the OBS.  A person's got to have their tools  ;)

I am planning on installing a second element as well as the PID
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Green Mountain Grill "Daniel Boone" Pellet Grill
Webber "Q" 100

paulsnapp

The issue will be for the dual heating elements that the Bradley controller will not handle.  You will be going from 500W to 1000W and will pull more current than the Bradley controller is designed for.  The Auber PID will.  The spec from their sight shows the Auber PID at 10A for 120VAC(1200 W),  the label on the actual PID shows 1400W.  So, anytime both elements are being used you will have to use the PID to control them.  So heat is not the issue.  Now, getting to a heat level and staying there is an issue with a single element, it takes a long time to get there and if you open the door the temp will drop and you will have a wait time again to get back to temp.  With both elements you get there very quickly.  I have nothing that I do that needs more than 225F, like pork loins.  Another item of note, when I spoke with Bradley about what type of high temp wiring they use, the tech also told me that the fusible link in their system will open at 250F.  Understanding that is on the back wall of the unit and not inside, I could see that the inside of the smoker could be slightly higher and not blow that link, but for my setup, I will not take it up over 225F.
Bradley 4 Rack Digital Smoker
Auber Dual Probe PID Controller
Second Heating Element Mod
Smoke and Stuff Fan Mod

Habanero Smoker

I have an older model OBS, and the temperature sensor will not cut off until 320°F; 300°F to be safe. I have cooked at 275°F, and found the taste of the finished product undesirable. I found if I cook over 250°F, the dripping that hit the drip tray gives the food a burnt taste.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)