Trying to duplicate some salmon recipes

Started by Smokeville, March 05, 2013, 10:12:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokeville

Hi folks;

A good friend is celebrating both her 50th birthday and receiving her doctorate, and has asked me to provide the salmon for about 50 people.

She in particular would like me to try and make at least 2 of the varieties from this website:

http://www.northernwaterssmokehaus.com/shop?Page=1&Items=12

Has anybody tried black pepper and coriander? How much coriander?
And, what about the dill? That looks like a lot of dill and it looks like it was dill weed as opposed to fresh.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Rich

devo

The black pepper might not be to bad but I would never but coriander on my smoked salmon. The one that had all the dill on it, my two cents is I would wash most of it off before serving as that was way to much for my liking. Beside adding dill to me is more of a Lox recipe. I have seen dill added to smoked salmon but not in the amounts they are using. All you can do is a trial run and see how it turns out.

Smokeville

Quote from: devo on March 05, 2013, 06:36:40 PM
The black pepper might not be to bad but I would never but coriander on my smoked salmon. The one that had all the dill on it, my two cents is I would wash most of it off before serving as that was way to much for my liking. Beside adding dill to me is more of a Lox recipe. I have seen dill added to smoked salmon but not in the amounts they are using. All you can do is a trial run and see how it turns out.

I pretty much agree, Devo.  This lady has bought these products before and she has loved them, but I thought that dill looked like an inch thick.

I did find a recipe for coriander seed and crushed pepper salmon -- not smoked though. I'm going to try both as a test run and see.

BTW, when I first read that web-site description I saw "coriander" but kept thinking "cardamon." It was when I looked up coriander I remembered I know it best as cilantro....   maybe guacamole would make a good topping if the avocado didn't turn brown....  ;D

Any other better choices?

Habanero Smoker

I hate cilantro, but coriander is one of my favorite spices. I don't understand how the seeds have such a wonderful flavor. Coriander has a citrus like flavor that will compliment any fish and other seafood.

Also search the web for a recipes called Mango Salsa Salmon. There are hundreds out there, I can't find my favorite at this moment, but that is also a great combination. Or just make the salsa to serve on the side as a condiment. Most of the recipes will be for either the grill or oven, but can be easily converted for cooking in the Bradley.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smokeville

I'm thinking that any item that goes either inside our outside of a sushi salmon roll could work.

I like that mango salsa idea.

Rich

pmmpete

When I smoke fish for myself, I cut the fillets up into pieces small enough so I can eat them within a couple days after I defrost them.  Another advantage of cutting the fillets up into pieces is that the smoke goes in and the moisture goes out better than it does with a whole fillet.  But for a party, consider smoking whole fillets.  They look impressive.

pikeman_95

Have you tried lemon pepper. This is one of my favorites with smoking salmon. One summer I did 32 slabs of lemon pepper smoked salmon. Several weddings and family gatherings. Make sure that you spoon it out of the container. If you shake the container on to the fish it soon separates and the salt comes out first and leaves the lemon and pepper. I would now probably use Kummok's recipe now as I feel it is one of the best that I have ever tasted on salmon. It is also very attractive when done right and would give a fine presentation.

Smokeville

Thanks, everyone.

I have a variety of rubs to try tomorrow on some smaller test pieces that are in the brine now.

Coriander seed and black pepper (ground at home)
Lemon pepper
Caribbean fish blend (store bought - I'll post ingredients later)
Dill and garlic
Avocado, onion powder, tomato (layered on salmon at last 1 hour of smoke)

I'll post photos.

Rich

anthony

I am going to keep an eye on this one.  Those sound like some good flavor combos. 

Smokeville

They are all in the smoker and should be ready about 7pm tonight......

I *really* gummed up on one..... I brushed a very light amount of St. Lucia Hot Sauce on one piece, and accidentally sprinkled some Goya Adobo bitter lemon powder on it.

Rich

Smokeville

I did take photos but they really don't show up very well.

Here's the verdict:

#1 Lemon Pepper from Bulk Barn   very good
#2 Carribean Fish Spice (Grace)  good
#3 Caribbean Fish Spice (Irie) quite good
#4 Coriander/blackpepper (50/50) OK
#5 salt sprinkle/brush with EVOO/chopped fresh dill good, but needs more dill
#6 Saint Lucia Hot Sauce/Goya Bitter Orange spice very good
#7 Saint Lucia Hot Sauce very good and not too hot
#8 Lemon Pepper (Irie) Good
#9 Dill recipe (below) VERY GOOD grarlic was crisp

I was surprised at #6 because it was a mistake.

The dill recipe is finely chopped dill, rough chopped garlic, mixed in EVOO. I would do this again in an instant. Really good.

This is the best photo of #9:

Habanero Smoker

Have you thought about smoking/cooking at a higher temperature? Such as 225 - 250°F the entire time. This will give your salmon a different texture, similar to oven baked or grilled, and it will take you less time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Smokeville

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on March 08, 2013, 01:14:40 AM
Have you thought about smoking/cooking at a higher temperature? Such as 225 - 250°F the entire time. This will give your salmon a different texture, similar to oven baked or grilled, and it will take you less time.

I wondered about that. The really good dill recipe was one that originated for a cedar plank on a grill.

Habanero Smoker

I cook/smoke salmon at those temperatures most of the time. I convert recipes that use the oven or grill, and convert them for use in the Bradley.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Smokeville

I just cut up all the test pieces and my dear wife and I had to try some,

All were much improved after their rest in the fridge..... An we almost ate all of #9!