Smoked Tillamook Oysters...mmmmm

Started by threerivers, May 01, 2006, 04:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

threerivers

Decided the other day to give a go at oysters.  Picked up a half gallon each of smalls and extra smalls.  Used a recipe found on a local fishing bb.  Brine consisted of six cups water, one cup kosher salt, one cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup soy sauce, half cup dried oninon and couple tbs of minced garlic (I couldn't find liquid garlic as the recipe called for.)  Boiled the oysters for 30 minutes in the brine then coated in olice oil and onto the racks.  Smoked for five hours using alder at about 120 degrees.  I used the extra smalls for the first batch.  They were good, but a little too salty for my liking, so with the second batch (the "smalls") I subsituted teriyaki for the soy sauce, then basted them with  some more teriyaki after placing them on the racks.  I preferred the larger size of the smalls, and the taste of the teriyaki - mmmm..mmmmm! 

owrstrich

where did you get those oysters there thre...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

tsquared

How dry were they after 5 hours? I tend to smoke mine at a hotter temp(200) for less time-maybe an hour or so.
T2

threerivers

Bought the oysters from Pacific Seafood in Bay City.  Not cheap...I think about $30 per half gallon but next time I'll pay more attention and note the exact price.  They weren't overly dry - however I noticed yesterday when I opened up a bag that had been vacuum packed that the "smokiness" was almost overpowering.  I may use a milder wood (maybe pecan) and try your time/temp method next time tsquared.

Chez Bubba

3R,

Understand the following opinion comes from someone who has never done this, so you're 1-up on me and I'll concede to anybody on this forum.

Alder is the mildest wood there is unless balsa is now available. I suspect your over-smokey is due to the 5 hours of smoke. Like T2 said, I'd only try an hour. If you want them dryer, go ahead & cook for longer, but don't apply smoke.

Kirk
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

tsquared

3R --At least you've got me inspired to do a batch soon. I bought a couple of dozen in the shell last weekend but just grilled them till they opened and added a mix of evoo and spices --goes well with IPA. I was dreaming of a batch of smoked, tho--now I've got to do some!
T2

MWS

Quote from: tsquared on May 02, 2006, 08:40:30 PM
--goes well with IPA. I was dreaming of a batch of smoked, tho--now I've got to do some!
T2

Tom, IPA and smoked oysters??.......you got me dreaming now too.....Have I mentioned I'm partial to the IPA's  ;D ::)
Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

tsquared

They are truly great with seafood, I agree. There are several made locally that keep my taste buds going.
T2

threerivers

Kirk - Thanks for that tip.  By the way I will be calling you soon - I'm having trouble finding biscuits locally and it sounds like yer the "go to" guy around here for that sorta stuff? ;)

Jim

MWS

Quote from: tsquared on May 03, 2006, 06:29:43 AM
They are truly great with seafood, I agree. There are several made locally that keep my taste buds going.
T2

Tom, if you haven't already, pick up some Phillips IPA. This is a Victoria brewery that makes fabulous ales. I really like their Amnesiac Double IPA, although at 8.5%, can't have to many. The owner/brewer used to be the brewmaster at Spinnakers which I'm sure youv'e been to.
Mike 

tsquared

Mike--I alternate buying Philips with Beacon IPA made locally by Lighthouse breweries. I tell my wife I can't make up my mind between the 2 brands and that I have to keep taste testing. ;D
Tough, but someone's got to do it. BTW--oysters are on special this weekend--yahoo!
T2

MWS

Mike 

tsquared

I'll ask tomorrow when I get some. Bought 20lbs of boston butt to smoke too. Looks like its going to be too snotty out on the strait to halibut fish, so I'll fire up the smoker and install my new boat seats instead.
Cheers,
Tom

MWS

Well.....I'm inspired now Tom, I will head off to my local GC Superstore in Chilliwack and get some oysters for Saturdays dinner. I am really impressed with the Phillips IPA's, but I think i will pick up a 'party pig' of my local 'Old Yale Brewing Co's Seageants IPA. Just looked out the window... It's raining here  >:( >:( >:( Crap
Mike