What kinda timeframe?

Started by dirt1008, April 02, 2013, 04:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirt1008

Well I have a 6 lb whole chicken (my first yard bird in the smoker!) to do tomorrow and I'm just wanting to plan everything out and get an estimate on time. I'm gonna rub it tonight, then tomorrow stand it up beer can style, and smoke for I'm guessing 3 hrs. How long would you guess it'll take to reach 165-170 at 225•? Also doing some ABT with the chicken!

devo

tskeeter

Dirt, just a reminder that you want the vent on your smoker all the way open when you do poultry.  Poultry contains a lot of moisture.  If the vent is mostly closed, the moisture can't escape.  Moisture trapped in the smoker by a closed vent absorbs the heat you are adding and prevents the smoker from heating up to the temp you want.

Ka Honu

... not to mention precipitating the dreaded "black rain."

dirt1008

Quote from: tskeeter on April 02, 2013, 04:47:53 PM
Dirt, just a reminder that you want the vent on your smoker all the way open when you do poultry.  Poultry contains a lot of moisture.  If the vent is mostly closed, the moisture can't escape.  Moisture trapped in the smoker by a closed vent absorbs the heat you are adding and prevents the smoker from heating up to the temp you want.
Thanks for the heads up. Doesn't everybody run wide open?!

ratherbboating

Yum, ABT's.  What did you stuff them with? 
And with the yard bird, I generally put it into a 425-450 oven after smoking for a few minutes to crisp the skin.
The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude. Julia Child

dirt1008

They're stuffed with cream cheese with chipotle seasoning, and little smokeys. I got the bird in the oven as we speak. Brother and I have ate half the ABT's

ChubbyBadnews

Looking good!! Good choice of beverage too  ;)
All hail the pig... hom nom nom

dirt1008

Quote from: ChubbyBadnews on April 03, 2013, 05:36:50 PM
Looking good!! Good choice of beverage too  ;)
Thank you, and I agree!