50 Degree Temp Swing?!?

Started by JohnD, May 24, 2013, 09:13:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnD

Brand new Bradley digital and I'm seasoning it per the manufacturer's instructions.  I set it for 150 and it ramped up steadily to 205 in about 10 - 15 minutes.  Double checked the setting and it is set to 150F.  After another 20 minutes it is now hovering around 170.  I understand that there are temp variations from reading other posts, but this seems extreme?  One time anomoly and get over it or is there anything I can check/adjust?  Vent is about half open.  Temp is being measured with a brand new Maverick dual probe thermometer.

Thanks for your collective wisdom.

JD

beefmann

John,

some temperature swings are normal in the 20 to 30 F degree range is normal, 50 seems to be  high... If the probe from the   maverick is placed near to above the heat element it will be higher  readings and temperature swings... if the probe is closer to the front of the cabinet it wont be so bad.

heat rises from the heat element along the  back of the tower. hence it would be hotter there... half open vent is good and allows for  air flow which helps in the temps

JohnD

Beefman, thanks for the prompt reply.  I had the probe in the middle of the cabinet and also tried setting it up to 220.  It was running up close to 250 on that.  I just finished checking the maverick with boiling water (another good trick from this forum).  The Maverick is spot on.  I may set the temp on the Bradley a little low and keep an eye on it tomorrow when the ribs are in.  The 3 - 2 - 1 method looks like the way to go.  Here's hoping the innaugural run is a success.

Thanks again!

JD

tskeeter

John, in order to minimize the front to back temperature variation in my six rack, I pinched the vents on the back side of my v-tray partially closed.  Don't know for a fact that it does any good.  But it's easy to do, doesn't cost anything, and can't hurt much.

Also, lots of folks report temp swings 20 degrees plus or minus their set point.  The largest swings tend to happen when a smoker is empty or when a smoker contains large pieces of cold meat.  As large cuts of meat heat up, it seems that the swings caused by the on/off cycle of the heating elements get smaller.  As the meat warms up, it tends to act as a heat sink, which stabilizes the temperature a bit.

You may be able to stabilize your temperature some by placing a foil wrapped brick or two in the bottom of your smoker.  The brick acts as a heat sink that dampens the temperature swings.

beefmann

John,

when the ribs are in the box temp will be a lot lower, if box temp set at 200 and with 10 lbs of  ribs you  will see a  lower temperature in the range of 150 to 170, this is because of the meat load... do not let it bother you  as the meat cooks  the box temp will come up also the temp  swings  will not  be as bad.. just let the  smoker do its thing and watch the temp of the  meat

Good luck and your welcome on the advice

paulsnapp

When my Bradley 4 rack Digital was new and I was going through the seasoning process, my temp went 50F over taget and then 30F under target.  I too thought I had a bad unit.  I called Bradley and they said it was normal.  The next day I purchased an Auber Dual PID.  No more temp swings since then.
Bradley 4 Rack Digital Smoker
Auber Dual Probe PID Controller
Second Heating Element Mod
Smoke and Stuff Fan Mod