1st timer's checklist

Started by Malc, May 17, 2006, 07:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malc

Hi, I am a first timer, and I wanted to see if I had the general idea of what to do.  I have read a lot on this forum, and I also bought a book called Smoke and Spice to help out.  Here is what I have gathered.  If somebody could let me know if I am on the right track, I would appreciate it.
I am smoking a six pound shoulder.
1) Night before:  apply rub to the shoulder and refrigerate.
2) Morning of remove the shoulder from the fridge for about an hour or more, maybe apply more rub.  Preheat the BS to about 200-220o
3) Smoke/cook for about 5 hrs.(I am using mesquite...it is all I have right now, and I am too impatient to wait for something else).
4) Continue to cook at about 200o until the internal temp. is about 185-195o.
5) FTC for about 1-2 hrs.
6) drink lots of beer throughout

How does this sound? Am I missing anything?  Should I make any adjustments to this?  I can't wait.  Thanks for the help.

Malc
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.

icerat4

Welcome here.Seems like ya got all angles handled ;D.Good luck.

Malc

Great.  I plan to do this on Saturday, so I'll let you know how it goes.

Malc

whitetailfan

Hi Malc,

Quote from: Malc on May 17, 2006, 07:14:36 AM
3) Smoke/cook for about 5 hrs.(I am using mesquite...it is all I have right now, and I am too impatient to wait for something else).
6) drink lots of beer throughout
Regarding #3:
Seems to me a 6 pounder is a decent sized piece of meat, I think you are gonna need way more than 5 hours total cook time.  I try to give myself at least a 10 hour window on a butt.  If its done early, ftc will keep it hot for hours on end.  If it takes longer uhoh...call the pizza guy.  I have never weighed one of my butts before, but I take a whole front shoulder and whack it in half - there ya go.  It takes in that 10-12 hour range.

I will put up to 4 hours of pecan on butt.  I think you are going to overpower if you use 5 hours of mesquite.  Shoot for 3 hours of smoke, I think you will be happy/safe.  Ideally I would get another flavour for pork, shame to not have great results first time out.  If you dont like this first outing - dont quit, just keep adjusting till its great.

Regarding #6
YEP ;D ;D
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

IKnowWood

Just be prepared for at least 2 hours per lb cook time. 6 lbs = 12 hours min.

Also, dump and refill water bowl (removes wasted pucks).  You also might want to tgo ahead and turn off the puck burner.  At 200 degrees its not needed and can save some life of the generator.

Don't forget the vent, 1/8 to 1/4 min.  

What temp gauges are you using?  Internal surely.  But a seperate probe for the oven temp?  The door will be missleading and you could over cook it and/or increrase cook time by a lot.

And lastly, Don't Open the door except as absolutly needed. (especially the last half of the cook time).

And just in case, take a nap after it hits 140 degrees internal for about 2 to 3 hours.  

As WTF says, Misquite is going to be strong on the butt.  Reduce time some.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Malc

Sorry, should have been more specific.  I was planning on five hrs. of smoke, but cooking longer as needed to get the right temp.  I will cut the smoke time down, though.  I was worried about that too.  You think 3hrs. would be better?

Malc

icerat4

3-4 hours of smoke is ok.Lighter wood not hickory you can go 4-5 hours.The biggest thing after the smoke part and empty the water deal is.Just watch the internal temps dont open the door.No one will steal the butt lol ;D.The rest you got handled just fine.Happy eating its nice stuff ;)

iceman

Sounds like you got it covered now Malc. Welcome and enjoy this weekend. Item #6 needs a little clarification as in "What kind of beer". :D ;DJust kidding. Have a good one.

Malc

Thanks for the advice.  I just found out that there is a store close to home that sells the bisquettes, so I may try hickory.  Would you stick with three hrs. or go more with hickory?  I asked about Pecan, they don't carry it.  Maybe next time. 

iceman, most likely it will be Sam Adams, my favorite.  Although, Goose Island IPA is climbing the charts quickly.  Life is too short to drink lite beer.

Malc

icerat4

Try a german wiess beer.With a lemon.Very very nice ;D

iceman

I think four hours would be alright for me but I like a good bark on my pulled pork. Heck, try three and if it's not looking good enough toss another couple pucks on. Sam Adams, good stuff, Kodiak Brown, yummy, Sasson Dupont, heaven.

Malc

Iceman, I do too, maybe I'll go with 4.

Icerat, I love Hoegarden, but I think it is Belgian.  I skip the fruit, though.

MallardWacker

MALC...Welcome.

The above folks really do have you covered and you will see there are variations of the same and some these guys are a whole lot qualified than I.

Shoot everyone has thrown a bit into the fire.   I know everyone will say here comes Mallard with the the Mesquite thing.  One thing you will find out is that Mesquite is a heck-of-a-lot stronger than you think with the Bradley, if have smoked before and have used chunk type Mesquite in different type smokers, it will be different in that it will be lighter, less intense taste.  Personally I would use 2-3 hours of that wood.

Another thing pull that butt out of the fridge and let it sit out for around 1.5hrs, this will help in the cooking time. 

Also I would invest in a remote thermometer, man that takes the guess work out. The cheapest ones I have found are at "Sports Academy", around $16.00.

When it comes to hunk-O-meats like a butt, do the 225 thing.  A butt takes long enough at 225 let alone 200.  Good man...FTC the thing...this will help immensely and before you close the foil up put a couple splashes of apple juice in with the meat.

Let us know how things turn out...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Biggun

If you haven't got cigars to go with the beer, now's a good time to start...I think it's in the women's rule book, if you are drinking, smoking, and "watching the bbq" ;), it's automatic "me time"!

Agree with the above stuff. Smoke and Spice is a great book for ideas and recipes, but watch yourself with the cook times- they are almost always waaay under. Like Wood said, always allow about 2 hrs./lb. for shoulders, seems like the smaller ones sometimes are the longest per lb.

Good luck, and have fun with it!

Malc

MallardWacker, Biggun, thanks.  I think I am starting to get a feel for what I should be doing.  Now we'll just have to see if I do it correctly.  The biggest problem I am having now is waiting to start.

Malc