Ok Who Is A-Smokin' What This Weekend - The Cat Is Back.

Started by Oldman, May 17, 2006, 11:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

West Coast Kansan

+ 5 and more.  Just does not seem right to stop with Bye for Now... those pictures TASTED GOOD> Excellent.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

West Coast Kansan

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

Arcs_n_Sparks

West Coast Kansan

Sparkler, A friend of mine makes them, I just smoked these.  The guys laying down were a different pork mix and shrank like crazy. They are what he calls a LA style (state not the city). They do make you cry just a bit and provide for a warm exit in the morning. But the pain is somehow worth it when subdued by adult beverage (anesthesia under way at present).

I think the key thing in the photo here is failure to rotate the racks before going to church and brunch. The DBS does a nice job of watching the temps for me but the darn thing wont rotate the racks.

The intention was to rotate the rack front to back and throw the 4 guys laying down below up on top of the rack.  Nice illistration of what happens with higher backwall temps.

Having another....

Mr Walleye

Looks good WCK!

I put the circulation fan in which helped a lot but I still seem to have to rotate once for jerky.

For me this weekend... yesterday was ribs and today is another 8lbs of jerky. Oh ya, I also have a pork loin on the grill. Ya I know it belongs in the smoker but I just didn't have room!  ::)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

acords

I put a circ fan in, it seems to work pretty well.  I am noticing that the temp from top to bottom seems to stay pretty close.  Front to back though is a bit different.  I find the food in the back cooks faster.
Grab me another stout, or scotch, or martini, or........
http://www.yardandpool.com - for all your Bradley needs!
http://www.geocities.com/schleswignapa/ -for all your Bradley needs!

Mr Walleye

Acords

That's simialr to my findings, although it seems when I do jerky I still do 1 rotate top to bottom and front to back after about 3 hours, then it seems to be fine.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

LilSmoker

Hey WCK, great pic with lots of atmosphere!, and that sausage looks very tasty! ;)
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Gizmo

WCK,
I guess I should be thankfull I didn't get an invite.  Had 1st cousin from Iowa out for my brother's retirement and we had a little get together at his house before they go back so I wouldn't have been able to make.  Seeing what I would have missed, I would have been very disappointed.

Yesterday I put the rest of the cured pork belly into the smoker.  In the afternoon, I tossed in the whole packer brisket.  Brought it out to my brothers today.  My cousin was very impressed.  He mentioned the results of the guys back there were not very good compared to what what he was now eating.  I think he rated theirs at 0 and mine at 9.5.  Looks like I'll have to use more wild turkey next time as I must have been .5 short on the quantity.  I told him there were a couple of Bradley guys from Iowa on this board he should look up when he gets back if he needs a fix.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Kansan

Gizmo, Doing my belly this week.  Decided since I am burning the candle at both ends I can work at home and really make smoke where there is fire.  I will post belly pics when done.  Anyway, Doing a standard cold smoke with the box and duct rig and will do part as a double to hot smoke with seasoning.  Not worried about messing it up if I dont like it...

I suppose Iowa is still using Offsets or those trash cans with the coil thing in the bottom at temps of about 1000F. Your family can spread the word about BS.

Send my greetings to Iowa (or maybe not). Maybe they can mail us some rocks from West Bend.

Into making friends tonight aint I. Too much sausage wash.

Take Care,

West Coast Kansan

Hey Gizmo, Congrats to your brother on retirement. That is seriously cool. I look forward to that a lot!!!!

Gizmo

Thanks WCK.  It was a great retirement party.  32+ years (police force and investigations).  Had several high profile cases including the Ocean Side boy murder.  The boys mother was at the retirement.  Quite heart felt the impact he had on the family.

Yesterday's batch was cured with the maple sugar cure and then after washing spent the night in maple syrup.  I also injected a little syrup into the belly as well.  I wiped off the excess maple before the cold smoke but think now I should have washed it off.  Surface didn't dry well so the 3 hours of cold smoke didn't put much smoke into the belly.  Put the belly back in the smoker for a hot smoke with 1 hour of 140 deg F drying time following up with a final 190 deg F box temp until the IT of the belly hit 138 deg F.  I ran out of time on the belly (reason for the higher box temp) as I needed the box for today's brisket so I rushed the IT temp.
Final verdict.
Not enough smoke.  No salt flavor at all (I actually add a little after frying).  A bit overly sweet and will actually blacken if cooked at too high a temp.  Due to the excessive box temp for the high speed processes, the edges were more like a canadian bacon or ham and was edible right out of the box.  The inside slices are a nice pink.  I like the pure cold smoke better. 

Whole packer split flat and cap.  Seasoned, ready to go.

Belly hanging for the cold smoke.

Sliced after the hot smoke and ready to fry for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack....

LilSmoker

That looks very nice Gizmo, those slices just need putting in a frying pan with a couple of eggs to keep them company bacon is definately going to be one of my future projects  ;)
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

coyote

My ! Oh My that looks good   :) The only thing missing at that table is ME !

Nice work Gizmo ,
                                                                    Coyote

Gizmo

I only wish I didn't have to slice them in half just to slice them nicely lenght wise.  :-\