2 fish smoking questions?

Started by Rubberdown, July 01, 2013, 04:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rubberdown

First of all, we bought a Bradley Digital Smoker almost 2 years ago and finally tried it out last week with some rainbow trout and LOVED IT.

Now for my questions, can I do rainbow trout and dally varden at the same time, or any 2 different species of fish at the same time?

2nd question, a friend gave me some Dolly Varden and Rainbow fillets, the rainbow doesnt have the skin still on it, what can be done so I can still put this in my smoker?

Going back to my very first comments, we only used pickling salt, brown sugar and water for a brine and it tasted great, any other easy to do brines I should try out on fish?

Shoot, that was 3 and heres one more, on the fish we did do for our first attempt, the thinner portions of the fillets were almost like jerky, did we smoke/cook it for 2 long or is this normal and okay on the thinner portions of a fillet?

Thanks and sorry to put so many questions all together in 1 topic.

Saber 4

Welcome from Texas, I'm sure the fish smoking experts will be along shortly with lots of good info and questions. You can find a lot of neat recipes to try all kind's of meat, fish and cheese in the Bradley on the forum and it's pretty fool proof if you follow the steps right.

Tenpoint5

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?board=11.0
I'm not one of the fish experts. I posted the link to the section for fish. Maybe some of your questions will be answered in there.

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

You can cook/smoke both fish at the same time, though they may finish at different times. The edges of my trout may be more well done, but not that I would categorize as jerky. Try taking the fish out at a lower temperature. I generally will only cook to 140°F. Or you can trim the thinner edges off prior to smoking, and use that in stews and salads, on place on a separate rack, so you can take them out when they are at the right "doness".

For trout I often use Boutch's Smoked Trout recipe. My trout fillets are thinner so I don't use as long of a brining time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)