• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

My 1lb brisket.

Started by fahmain, August 20, 2013, 04:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fahmain

Well I appreciated everyone's help here. So here's the result.

So I marinated it with my own mix of spices in the fridge for 2 days.

After letting it sit out for an hour she's ready.

Into the smoker she goes. On the bottom tray is water to keep it moist as it's only 1lb and I was worried it would dry out. 4 pucks of hickory and 4 pucks of apple

I started smoking/cooking at 3:00pm. At 6:30pm I took it out and put it in the oven at 375 for 20min as I wanted to time it for 7pm.

Out of the oven and then sliced. You can see the juices pool on the cutting board. It was very moist!

End result. Man I love this smoker!

SiFumar

Great job!  As long as you're happy then you done right!  Very nice $ shot!

Saber 4

You did good, that's some good looking brisket and a tasty looking dinner. I'll be looking for your next adventure.

ragweed

Nice looking brisket.  Good job!!

oldsmoker

In one of the photos it looks like no water in the puck bowel Need water in it our you could get a grease fire. But your smoke looks great nice and pink.
OLDSMOKER

Dakota Don

Awesome! I've never seen a 1 pound brisket cooked... You gave me a lot of food for thought. My main question here is; 8 pucks (4 + 4) for a brisket this size, seems like a lot of smoke... how was it?

fahmain

Quote from: OldSMOKER on August 20, 2013, 07:54:55 PM
In one of the photos it looks like no water in the puck bowel Need water in it our you could get a grease fire. But your smoke looks great nice and pink.

You're correct I prob should put water in it lol. Next time for sure!

fahmain

Quote from: Dakota Don on August 20, 2013, 10:29:54 PM
Awesome! I've never seen a 1 pound brisket cooked... You gave me a lot of food for thought. My main question here is; 8 pucks (4 + 4) for a brisket this size, seems like a lot of smoke... how was it?

Ya I was wondering how many pucks to put, I just winged it and did 4 and 4. I was surprised that the smoke flavor wasn't overpowering. Next time I might go either 2 and 2 or 3 and 3. But it tasted pretty damn good!

Saber 4

X2 the water in the bowl puts out the smoking old puck and keeps you with only the good smelling smoke in your cabinet

beefmann

KyNola

Quote from: Saber 4 on August 21, 2013, 05:52:01 AM
X2 the water in the bowl puts out the smoking old puck and keeps you with only the good smelling smoke in your cabinet
The only thing that saved you from a grease fire is your set up of the aluminum pan directly under the brisket.  You need water in the bowl to extinguish the burnt pucks.  On long smokes/cooks you need to periodically dump the bowl and refill with fresh water and don't let it go dry.

Your brisket looks very good.

Tenpoint5

I am perplexed here. What was the IT of the brisket when you pulled it out? From what I think I am reading. You pulled the brisket out after 3 1/2 hours. Then 20 minutes in the oven. I'm thinking this was a pretty tough and chewy piece of meat. It has been suggested to pull briskets somewhere between 185 and 195 for sliced and 205+ for shredded/pulled beef. In you last picture the slices look pretty bloody yet that is why I am asking.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

You know Chris, given the weight and shape of the cut along with the color of the sliced meat I can't help but wonder if that is actually a corned beef point cut of brisket. 

That being said, remember the weight was only 1 pound and does not appear to be all that thick so 4 hours of time doesn't seem all that short to me.

fahmain

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on August 21, 2013, 07:59:50 AM
I am perplexed here. What was the IT of the brisket when you pulled it out? From what I think I am reading. You pulled the brisket out after 3 1/2 hours. Then 20 minutes in the oven. I'm thinking this was a pretty tough and chewy piece of meat. It has been suggested to pull briskets somewhere between 185 and 195 for sliced and 205+ for shredded/pulled beef. In you last picture the slices look pretty bloody yet that is why I am asking.

I kept monitoring it and around 6:20pm the IT was around 140. So that's why I put it in the oven for 20 min at 375.

Tenpoint5

I just want you to know that I in NO WAY am trying to say you were wrong in how you cooked it. if that is how you like it. Just from previous experience. Brisket is much more tender if you wait to pull it around the 185 IT.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!