Len Poli recipe for Sweet Lebanon Bologna

Started by devo, September 04, 2013, 08:34:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

devo

Had an itch to try this for some time now. To me this one is hard to understand and goes against the grain as far as cure #1 and cure #2 and my understanding of how they work  ::)   :-\
So I asked a couple of questions from  NePaSmoKer (thanks Rick) and he has made it a few times. He said it is well worth it and just follow the recipe.
So here is the recipe if you want to check it out:
http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/Bologna-Lebanon-sweet.pdf

Now this is just not a grind it, stuff it and smoke kind of deal where your done in a day. So far I have 24 hours into it from the grind. I have just finished stuffing the casings and they are going into a 48 hour nap @85F
After that I can give it a good heavy smoke.
I am still up in the air as to when these will be ready to eat, but I am sure something will tell me when they are done.  :)

So here are some pics of the process so far.

Had 90/10 GB and ran it through my grinder with the smallest plate. This kind of gives it a emulsified look and feel. It got real sticky after the grind. It was still half frozen which is what you want, notice the GB chunks  ;D

Here you can see just how cold the meat was from the condensation on the throat of the grinder.

This is about 4 pounds ground up

All bagged up and off to the fridge to rest with the spices, cure and F-RM-52 culture

Stuffing time 24 hours later.

Lems bologna casings, these thing are so big I could have stuffed by hand  ;)

One down one to go

And here we have to 5 lbs twins  ;)

Off to my curing chamber where I can control the temp and R/H for 48 hours. . So now we wait @ 85F degrees

NePaSmoKer

Looking good.

Dont be alarmed if you have some slight dripping in the 48 hr time period.

Tenpoint5

Been pondering this one as well Don. Like you said the whole cure 1 cure 2 thing makes you really wonder.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Saber 4

Can't wait to see your progress on this one.

NePaSmoKer

Don

Sorry to hijack your post.

Here is the last batch of the Sweet Lebanon i did using Poli's recipe.

I used natural beef middles.

You can see that the SL is semi dry.

devo

QuoteDon

No problem Rick.
Those look really great. Is that a natural casing or synthetic ?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: devo on September 05, 2013, 12:26:15 PM
QuoteDon

No problem Rick.
Those look really great. Is that a natural casing or synthetic ?

natural beef middles

devo

Smoking day, gave them almost 8 hours of heavy cold smoke from the  A-MAZE-N-TUBE-SMOKER hanging in the bradley. Started getting pretty warm outside and it was getting difficult to keep the temp down below 90F even with a large chunk of ice.

With these casings its hard to tell color change but you sure could feel the smoke on them.

I weighed them after the smoke and they have already lost 1/2 a pound each. Now they are back in a fridge for 10 -14 days depending on how much moisture they lose.

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer