Turkey no brine?

Started by Snoopy, November 25, 2013, 10:03:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snoopy

So i've spaced it and don't think i'm gonna have enough time to brine the turkey, is this gonna be an issue? am i ok just rubbing it down and smoking? plannin on a finish in the oven. the wife is doing the main bird her way as i haven't attempted a smoked one yet, so i picked up a smaller one to try out. thanks

Saber 4

You'll be fine, Here's a link to 2 twelve pounders I did without brining and they were awesome. http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=32862.0 you could do yours without spatchcocking if you don't want to go that route. Be careful you could be in trouble if yours outdoes your wife's.

ragweed

I agree with Saber 4.  I've done them without brining and they've turned out fine.

pondee

Quote from: Snoopy on November 25, 2013, 10:03:02 AM
So i've spaced it and don't think i'm gonna have enough time to brine the turkey, is this gonna be an issue? am i ok just rubbing it down and smoking? plannin on a finish in the oven. the wife is doing the main bird her way as i haven't attempted a smoked one yet, so i picked up a smaller one to try out. thanks

How long do you need to brine a turkey?  Today is Tuesday, morning here on the East Coast.  The OP's post was 10AM Monday.  Shouldn't there still be enough time to brine a turkey?

Saber 4

The guide I was given by Habs was 1 hour per pound so you should be ok still, if you work quickly.

pondee

Quote from: Saber 4 on November 26, 2013, 06:29:11 AM
The guide I was given by Habs was 1 hour per pound so you should be ok still, if you work quickly.

I'm not sure I'm getting the reason for the rush.  As I type it is 2PM, Tuesday, on the east coast.  Start your brine now and 24 hours later, 2 PM Wednesday you've brined a 24# bird.  Still leaves you 16 plus hours to dry prior your cook start at 6AM Thanksgiving.  Isn't there still plenty of time to properly brine a turkey?

Saber 4

Quote from: pondee on November 26, 2013, 11:00:57 AM

I'm not sure I'm getting the reason for the rush.  As I type it is 2PM, Tuesday, on the east coast.  Start your brine now and 24 hours later, 2 PM Wednesday you've brined a 24# bird.  Still leaves you 16 plus hours to dry prior your cook start at 6AM Thanksgiving.  Isn't there still plenty of time to properly brine a turkey?

The rush was probably more in my mind since I've been running around like a chicken with my legs cut off trying to get ready to leave on Wednesday morning not even realizing what day it was anymore, old age and all.

pondee

Quote from: Saber 4 on November 26, 2013, 09:12:21 PM

The rush was probably more in my mind since I've been running around like a chicken with my legs cut off trying to get ready to leave on Wednesday morning not even realizing what day it was anymore, old age and all.

You had me reconsidering my time frame. 

Saber 4

Quote from: pondee on November 27, 2013, 05:24:40 AM
Quote from: Saber 4 on November 26, 2013, 09:12:21 PM

You had me reconsidering my time frame.

Sorry, my Bad, senior moments are no fun :D

Snoopy

for me it was even getting the time to do it and energy. active navy and right before a 4 day weekend it gets stupid hectic here trying to make sure the aircraft are ready to go when we come back. I'll brine one for christmas, this one i'm gonna just smoke and see.