• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Trukey in the brine!

Started by 4given, November 27, 2013, 07:15:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4given

Ok my turkey is in the brine! It thawed a little faster that anticipated so I was able to do it last night!   ;D

So we have one 20 lb "Morningstar White" Turkey enhanced with up to 8% flavor enhancing solution.

I put it in a white food grade bucket covered it with water, pulled the turkey out and marked the water level on the outside of the bucket.

Poured out the water and filled it back up to the mark I made.

Mixed in 1 cup canning salt, one cup white sugar and about 2 tablespoons good strong Kirkland garlic powder and stirred it until the salt and sugar were dissolved.

Stuck the turkey in and submerged a dinner plate of top of it to keep totally covered in brine.

Put the lid on the bucket and placed it in the fridge. It fit great after I took out two drawers in the bottom and the bottom door shelf. (cleared this step with my dear wife!)

It will stay in the brine until Thursday morning when I will rinse it thoroughly  inside and out and prep it for the GMG DB. I will be injecting it with unsalted butter and rubbing it with Emeri's BAM! Essence.

Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Green Mountain Grill "Daniel Boone" Pellet Grill
Webber "Q" 100

beefmann

sounds like a  great  start, and  will be  good

inm101

Thank you for writing this up.  It's very helpful for briner first timers. 

STLstyle

4given,
Doesn't that 8% flavor enhancer mean the turkey is pre-brined?  Not sure on that I've been ready posts this topic and couldn't find anything below 3% at the store.  Maybe someone can jump in and educate? 
I like your injection / rub combo.  Should turn out great...

DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

Pachanga

I have brined many an 8% turkey; close to if not over 100.  It is well worth doing.  That said I use a low salt flavor brine which enhances the taste but what is most noticeable is the moisture.  I have never served one of these that I was not asked the process and told that it was the best they had ever had.

I suppose that sitting in the brine for 4 days moves the 8% solution out and back in several times.  I would also surmise that sitting in the solution this long penetrates the entire bird.  The injection holes from the 8% act as highways.  Everything is moving back and forth trying to get to equilibrium.  OK, I made all that stuff up, but bottom line is it works.

Here is how I do mine.  Too late for Thanksgiving.  Maybe Christmas.  Or as I do, roast at least one or two a quarter.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?777-Brine-Pachanga-Low-Salt-Poultry-Brine

Reading through the recipe, I have changed to 1 1/8 cup salt for 2 gallons of liquid and I roast to 154 middle breast.  Hangover heat will bring it up to 161 while resting (20+ pounders).  Smaller birds may need to be taken a little higher.

No poultry gets to my table now without a dunk and a long swim.

Good luck and slow smoking.

4given

Quote from: STLstyle on November 27, 2013, 02:17:37 PM
4given,
Doesn't that 8% flavor enhancer mean the turkey is pre-brined?  Not sure on that I've been ready posts this topic and couldn't find anything below 3% at the store.  Maybe someone can jump in and educate? 
I like your injection / rub combo.  Should turn out great...

Many people consider it pre brined and it is. But a lot of folks also say that "rebrining" it is worthwhile and makes a noticeable difference. The brining method I am using has been used many times by with a lot of success on 8% birds by "norcal" and "Bentley"  over at the pelletheads forum so I am giving it a try.
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Green Mountain Grill "Daniel Boone" Pellet Grill
Webber "Q" 100

STLstyle

Thanks gentlemen!  I'm glad I asked.  I was scared of 8% turning to salty.  I'll try one next time...  Good luck!  I'm going with a chicken broth / brown sugar/ onion / garlic marinade this time with Cajun butter injection and some sort hybrid Jan's.

DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod

Jacktucky

Thought I would post here instead of starting a thread.

My turkey was Butterball "fresh" 5% solution.  Lost track of time and didn't brine.  Added kosher salt for two hours while turkey came to room temp.

Put in preheated smoker at 11:45am, must have knocked something loose because first time I checked the smoker was at 60 F.  Loose cable and it's been smoking for 5 hours, no more smoke at 200F oven temp total time 7.5 hours.

Thigh temp is 158, I plan on taking out at 160 ish for carryover and serve tomorrow.  Pics when I yank it.

Jacktucky

Oh it's like 20 degrees out, foil covered rock is Helping keep temps up.  Turkey was 11 lbs

STLstyle

Nice looking gobbler you got there!

DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod

ragweed

Great looking bird!!  Hope mine turns out 1/2 that nice!

Pachanga

The browning is perfect.  Nice bird.

Pachanga

Jacktucky

It came out great.  Thanks everyone

Quarlow

That is an awesome looking "Bearded Tree Rooster". Nice job. I will be doing a few turkeys in the next coming weeks. I am doing one for a dinner party we were invited to, and one for xmas dinner. Then my daughter is getting married on the 27th in a small house ceremony at my brothers house and then I will be doing one for the New Years party. All smoked in the Bradley and finished in the BE. Might even have to do one just for sandwich's.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.