• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Finally had my first free night to try out the new smoker!

Started by Deezel, December 08, 2013, 09:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deezel

Thought I would start with something that I felt was easy so I decided on drumsticks.
I tried to preheat the smoker to 250 degrees but with the temp outside being in the -20 range, I could only get the smoker to 220 degrees after 45 minutes.
I sprinkled some all-spice on the legs, and threw them in the smoker. I smoked them with apple for 2.5 hours and let them cook for another hour without smoke.
I went an extra hour because I could only achieve an oven temperature of 180 degrees while smoke was being applied. After the smoke was completed, oven temperature rose to 218 degrees again after about 15 minutes or so.
I did have concerns with the oven temperature but the chicken turned out pretty darned good! They just took a little longer to cook than expected. I thought they might dry out but the outside was nice and crisp with the inside remaining moist. I checked the internal temperature of the chicken, when I brought them in the house and it had reached 170 degrees.

The wife was thoroughly impressed with them, as was I!!   
I think the new smoker is gonna see a lot of action!  ;D

Gafala

Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

beefmann

PapaC

Nice legs! If your wife was impressed, you musta really done good!   :o
I'm just a social smoker, I can quit any time I want.

Saber 4

Looks good, the more you can impress the wife, the more toys you get....

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

Pachanga

Looks like a bang up job on those drums.

About the closest it ever comes to -20 around here is 40 degrees warmer than that but there are a couple of tips I have learned.

The Bradley is not a powerhouse of heat output, so the heat must be preserved.  If there is any wind, a wind block is in order to prevent the windchill factor.  To provide an extra blanket of warmth for your new buddy, some folks around here put him in a cabinet with a smoke stack exhaust. 

However you set it up, you will enjoy the new companion.  The Bradley will turn out some outstanding smokes with a low degree of effort.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

Deezel

Thanks for all the great comments!

I was actually impressed with the temperature the oven was able to get to in such harsh conditions.
I'm planning on building a small enclosed cart for the unit to sit in with a small ceramic heater placed inside as well to help keep the temp up.
I've seen some great cabinet designs on here and will most likely "borrow" an idea or two.