basic question about smoking salmon first of all is cold or hot smoke?

Started by michelle linnane, December 09, 2013, 03:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michelle linnane

I just had some one give me about 10 lbs of salmon meat to smoke, and as fish is cooked to improve the flavor
is it a hot smoke or a cold smoke if my first question? depending on the answer do I need to buy a temp gage for
meat?   

Just about all the receipes I see call for brown sugar and evreybody complains they put too much salt in.

I was thinking of buy some salmon meat and doing a test do not want to ruin 10 lbs of someone else meat or
even my own.

I have smoked pork chops, pheasants, chukars, geese, ducks and loved them.  What would be a middle of road receipe
to smoke the NY salmon?  I will try with some store bought salmon before I mess with 5 or 10 lbs.   
Michelle Linnane

Grouperman941

Follow Kummok's recipe: http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=107.0

It is a sticky in this section for a reason. Really good. It's a hot smoke.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

Habanero Smoker

The final product you are looking for will determine if you want to cold smoke or hot smoke salmon. Cold smoked salmon is "chemically cooked" during the curing time. The salt denatures the proteins much like cooking will do. Your finished product will be like lox, or gravlax that has been smoked. The below link is a good recipe for cold smoke salmon, and I have never found it to be too salty.
Best Smoked Lox

The link that Grouperman941 posted is a good example of hot smoked salmon, that is fully cooked. You really don't need a meat probe for either, especially the cold smoked salmon. For Kummok's recipe I use to go by a internal temperature of 145°F, but I know go by the texture of the finish product, and will test by feel and using the fork test to see how it flakes.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

tsquared

Michelle--your post says the salmon is already cooked? Or am I interpreting what you are saying incorrectly?
T2